Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Overtraining

  1. #21
    Senior Member AlanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Belper, Derbyshire
    Posts
    145

    Re: Overtraining

    Go for it Dan - The Great Lakes run is too good to miss I'm sure !

    One thing I meant to say but didn't is that in training - riding and running with others has helped me tremendously. I have always always always trained on my own. Until recently.

    Running on your own = Motivationally tricky to go fast.
    Running with others = Pushed just a bit faster than you're comfortable with = Improvement

  2. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    2,630

    Re: Overtraining

    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    I have a plan. I'm going to run the Great Lakes tomorrow, but that will be my last race for about a month. I can't rest completely I will go mad so I'm planning to spend two weeks alternating a 20 minute very gentle jog one day and a gentle bike ride the next.

    After that two weeks I'll start running properly, but no speed work just run on the fells with the club and on my own at a steady pace. Then I'll do a park run and see where I am....

    In the meantime I'm going to get a print out of my blood test, talk to someone who knows what they're on about and start taking WPs supplement suggestion.

    What does anyone think about the plan? Does it sound sensible or should I rest? How much fitness will I lose?
    I disagree with the advice to take a multivitamin - have a healthy diet instead. Chemical vitamins are different from natural vitamins and there is no evidence they benefit healthy people, indeed there is some evidence of harm, particularly in smokers. If tests show you are vitamin deficient then you need to find out why, rather than simply replacing what is missing.

    Good luck doing The Great Lakes Run - it could be a bit wet!

  3. #23
    Master Dynamo Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Overtraining

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I disagree with the advice to take a multivitamin - have a healthy diet instead. Chemical vitamins are different from natural vitamins and there is no evidence they benefit healthy people, indeed there is some evidence of harm, particularly in smokers. If tests show you are vitamin deficient then you need to find out why, rather than simply replacing what is missing.

    Good luck doing The Great Lakes Run - it could be a bit wet!
    That's a very fair point Mike. To be honest I have a pretty good diet, we usually make things from scratch I eat lots of fruit and veg, I'm not a veggie. We have the odd chippie tea and takeaway, but the bulk of our meals are home cooked.

    This year is the first year I've done ultra distance stuff and tough AL races for the first time. I think I underestimated how much they take from your body, two days after running TWA I was doing a speed session with Sale Harriers and then Buttermere Sailbeck and then Coniston ect ect. In reality I've probably been pushing it too hard since the High Peak Marathon.

    The thing which worries me most is that all the hard work I've put in at the start of this year might be wasted because I've pushed it too hard. What ever happens I've learnt a valuable lesson....

  4. #24

    Re: Overtraining

    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    That's a very fair point Mike. To be honest I have a pretty good diet, we usually make things from scratch I eat lots of fruit and veg, I'm not a veggie. We have the odd chippie tea and takeaway, but the bulk of our meals are home cooked.

    This year is the first year I've done ultra distance stuff and tough AL races for the first time. I think I underestimated how much they take from your body, two days after running TWA I was doing a speed session with Sale Harriers and then Buttermere Sailbeck and then Coniston ect ect. In reality I've probably been pushing it too hard since the High Peak Marathon.

    The thing which worries me most is that all the hard work I've put in at the start of this year might be wasted because I've pushed it too hard. What ever happens I've learnt a valuable lesson....
    Speaking from my own experience I would say you are much better off taking a couple of weeks off now, and playing it safe, then to risk making things worse and finding yourself unable to train for months.

    This may sound a bit negative, and it probably is. I was in the best form of my life 14 months ago, and didn't listen to my body after doing the 3 peaks, and kept training and racing hard all summer, despite feeling washed out and over tired, and race performances not being what I would have expected. Eventually it all caught up with me and I got ill, and I've basically had one illness after another since then. I've trained for about 2 months of the last 6.

    The last 6 months may just be one of those things, but I wish I'd listened to my body a bit and had a couple of weeks off after 3 peaks.

    It sounds like you've done quite a lot this year. (bit jealous ) If you're not used to it you probably need a break, and would benefit from it. You do see some people doing all the big races, and all the other races week in week out, but they have probably been doing it for years and are better equipped.

    Hope you get sorted soon.

    RP.

  5. #25
    Master Dynamo Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Overtraining

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ricepudding View Post
    Speaking from my own experience I would say you are much better off taking a couple of weeks off now, and playing it safe, then to risk making things worse and finding yourself unable to train for months.

    This may sound a bit negative, and it probably is. I was in the best form of my life 14 months ago, and didn't listen to my body after doing the 3 peaks, and kept training and racing hard all summer, despite feeling washed out and over tired, and race performances not being what I would have expected. Eventually it all caught up with me and I got ill, and I've basically had one illness after another since then. I've trained for about 2 months of the last 6.

    The last 6 months may just be one of those things, but I wish I'd listened to my body a bit and had a couple of weeks off after 3 peaks.

    It sounds like you've done quite a lot this year. (bit jealous ) If you're not used to it you probably need a break, and would benefit from it. You do see some people doing all the big races, and all the other races week in week out, but they have probably been doing it for years and are better equipped.

    Hope you get sorted soon.

    RP.

    Sorry to hear that RP. I'm definitely taking time off after the Great Lakes it's just a case of whether it's complete rest or very gentle exercise. I read somewhere that active rest, very very easy jogging or swimming/cycling can actually help you recover quicker. I'm not sure though.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    cheltenham
    Posts
    145

    Re: Overtraining

    i always think very easy active recovery benefits myself a lot more than complete rest. i find it keeps you supple and just keeps everything ticking over.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

  7. #27
    Headmaster Grouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,377

    Re: Overtraining

    Come on Dan you know I won't let you get away with that. It's etc. innit? You have obviously been overdoing it.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

  8. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,789

    Re: Overtraining

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I disagree with the advice to take a multivitamin - have a healthy diet instead. Chemical vitamins are different from natural vitamins and there is no evidence they benefit healthy people, indeed there is some evidence of harm, particularly in smokers. If tests show you are vitamin deficient then you need to find out why, rather than simply replacing what is missing.

    Good luck doing The Great Lakes Run - it could be a bit wet!
    But Mike on the beetroot thread you told us you were chugging concentrated beetroot juice in an attempt to boost your performance. Not only that but you also advocated to a forumite to take fish oil capsules. So you clearly aren't just a 'have a healthy diet' person as you believe in taking supplements on top of a normal diet.

    As far as vitamins and minerals are concerned I don't believe a low dose multi vitamin and mineral tablet is harmful even in healthy individuals. I also don't believe they are necessary in individuals who are getting all the nutrients from food. For some individuals though they are necessary. I know because I've seen the transformation with my own eyes. Recently a friend went to the doctor, yet again, about chronic fatigue caused in the past by excessive exercise. Whilst there he asked him if taking vitamins would help. The doctor said something to the effect of " there is no evidence to show they work." Anyway he did agree to run some new blood tests and when the results returned they showed a low folate level. Even at that point the doctor still didn't advise the taking of a supplement because he'd already stated his views on them and couldn't be shown to be contradicting that even if it meant the patient suffering for an unnecessary period. When he told me I advised him to 'nip it in the bud' and get some folic acid tablets. He took them and after a short period miraculously recovered.

    I almost couldn't believe it. A little mineral like that could have so much influence. It's all well and good telling athletes to get a healthy diet but often they won't/can't. I find this true especially with vegetarians and others that don't like meat. For those people supplements are a useful addition to the diet to ensure they get the vitamins and minerals they need.

    One last point. All vitamins and minerals are chemicals, regardless of whether they occur naturally or are man made. They have also been used for decades to overcome deficiencies and are very potent in that respect. The research about them in healthy people has been contradictory for ages. For instance I did read that each cigarette smoked utilises 25mg of vit-c, implying that smokers need more, not less, vit-c. Of course reading and believing are often different things and what one individual believes isn't always what another one does.
    Last edited by CL; 17-06-2012 at 09:40 AM.

  9. #29
    Master Dynamo Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: Overtraining

    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Come on Dan you know I won't let you get away with that. It's etc. innit? You have obviously been overdoing it.
    Its not joust my runnnning thats sufering Jon....

  10. #30
    Headmaster Grouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,377

    Re: Overtraining

    So eye can sea. Maybe you should try sum vitomin tables then.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •