Thread: 9 Edges endurance AH HELP!

Talking 9 Edges endurance AH HELP!

So. I signed myself up for the 9 edges endurance race on september the 15th. I am new to the idea of running up hills/ off trails/ for a long time. This puts me at a bit of a disadvantage...
    The race is 20 miles with 900m of "up"
    I have made myself a training program which I am about 3 weeks into. It basically consists of my milage going up by 10% each week, until just before the race when it tapers off. I'm running one short run (around 3 or 4 miles) one medium run (strating at 5 miles increasing by 10% each week till 10 miles) and one long run which also increases at 10% each week (up to 20miles). So this week I ran 3 miles, 6.1 miles and saturday i'm going 7.3.
    I bought myself some new shoes (salomon speedcross 3's?) because my old shoes were about 10 years old and my shins were hurting. New shoes are great so far.

Basically I am trying to work out what time I will be able to do the race in. I ran 7 miles last week and it took me 1hour 13mins aprox. It had lots of hills but only about half the amount of height gain that the actual race will have.
    Has anyone run it, and how horrendous will it be? Will I actually be able to finish?
    Any suggestions on the training plan?
    My general aim was to finish comfortably under 4 and a half hours. But looking at the times of previous competitors I think this is a bit optimistic- especially as it is my first race!

Does anyone also have any suggestions on not getting lost?!? Or wether it is worth taking food for a pit stop half way round? (or will that just not digest very well?)

Sorry for the long post! I'm just very nervous about what I have signed up to now! Am I crazy?

Re: 9 Edges endurance AH HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Hinton View Post
    So. I signed myself up for the 9 edges endurance race on september the 15th. I am new to the idea of running up hills/ off trails/ for a long time. This puts me at a bit of a disadvantage...
    Does anyone also have any suggestions on not getting lost?!? Or wether it is worth taking food for a pit stop half way round? (or will that just not digest very well?)

Sorry for the long post! I'm just very nervous about what I have signed up to now! Am I crazy?
    You'll be fine, 9E is very straightforward race. The conventional route is on well established footpaths and trails, and the only big climb is right at the start out of Fairholmes. The edges form a massive, unmistakable handrail right down the route and even in clag you'd have to try very hard to get lost. I've assumed you can read a map at least a bit, though!

Worth carrying a bit of food and drink (think it's a requirement) but there is food & drink at CP en route, previous years mostly mars bars and bananas.

Read the race instructions carefully all the info you'll need on the route is in there. Slightly fiddly bits at Haywood car park and Longshaw estate where there are a few paths going off in different directions and it's worth knowing which is which to save time on the day.

Given the info you've posted I would imagine 4.5 hr or better would be doable.

Same with the instructions re kit, bring the kit on the list, the race is run by Edale MRT and the kit check is compulsory for all at registration.

See you there.

S

I did it a couple of years back and lugged a full rack of climbing gear round, I think we were one of the last teams back but had an excellent day out. Navigation is extremely easy and all the paths are nice and big for excellent running.
    There's plenty of info on feeding if you search the forums for it.

I would advise against increasing your mileage every week between now and the race. You may benefit from say every fourth week dropping your mileage back to give your body an easier week and time to consolidate the milage you've already put in.

This is a fine route, and not so tough.
    I ran this last year and it was one of the first long(er) distance events I ever entered. I am not fast at all, but I was pleased to complete in 3:51.

Probably the most arduous bit is the last 1/3rd of Stanage, where you are weaving around or hopping over all the boulders and pools trying to keep a rhythm up and finding the line of least resistance.
    I was surprised how slow most people were up out of Fairholmes. Apart from that, the only hill you notice yourself doing is the one up to High Nebb on Stanage, and that's quite gentle. If there genuinely is 900m of ascent, it's very spread-out!

I would suggest that, if you can get yourself up into the mid-teens of miles without your legs feeling like lead, you'll complete this ok.

They're not that big on food at the checkpoints (certainly you won't fancy trying to eat biscuits), but grab a handful of jelly babies at each one, and take 3-4 Go gel sachets with you as well, and that should be enough you get you through the 20 and a bit miles that is the running route (you mostly miss out Burbage, Gardom's and Birchin's).