Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Trails - Pollenca

Mountain Trails - Pollenca

Anybody know of any decent Mountain Trails around the Pollenca area of Majorca ?

Re: Mountain Trails - Pollenca

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Anybody know of any decent Mountain Trails around the Pollenca area of Majorca ?
    Went there last easter and ran most days, some stunning routes in the north west of the island though it's all limestone so pretty rough. used this book / map combo:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walk-Mallorc.../dp/1904946194

Have used these books / maps for running routes in Madeira, La Palma and Lanzarote over the last 2 years and always pretty reliable.

RhosgadMath, thank's for that !

I have some maps at home which I picked up in Palma and which were the best I could find: pretty detailed 1:40,000, IIRC, plus walking route guides.
    Think they are German, Kompass maybe, with English translations - but just had a bit of a google and can't find them online at all.
    There were three maps, focussing on the south, central and north Tramuntana. I have the latter two, but you might only need the last.
    I will have a look tonight if I remember to see what they are called.
    You would be welcome to borrow them if you wish.

Not German at all! They were the authentico Spanish equivalent of OS, Mapa Topografica Nacional at 1:25,000.
    http://idd02ucg.eresmas.net/mapas.htm
    Can't get them over here. You *might* find them in a Pollenca tabac.
    But like I say, I'd be happy to see them put to further use.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Not German at all! They were the authentico Spanish equivalent of OS, Mapa Topografica Nacional at 1:25,000.
    http://idd02ucg.eresmas.net/mapas.htm
    Can't get them over here. You *might* find them in a Pollenca tabac.
    But like I say, I'd be happy to see them put to further use.
    Cheers Zoot, that's a very kind offer. I'll have a butchers on the internet, but may well take you up on that. We go at the end of July & on previous trips I've resorted to dreaded road running ! Not this time. I need to get up in the mountains !

Cheers Zoot, that's a very kind offer. I'll have a butchers on the internet, but may well take you up on that. We go at the end of July & on previous trips I've resorted to dreaded road running ! Not this time. I need to get up in the mountains !
    They are very good quality, and I think the routes suggested in the guide are also marked on the map, which is all pretty user-friendly.

Thank's. We rented a villa, a couple of years back, that overlooked the mountains & I always regretted not having a couple of trots out in them.

Thank's. We rented a villa, a couple of years back, that overlooked the mountains & I always regretted not having a couple of trots out in them.
    There's not too much from polenca but more from the north west, valdermossa? Think it was called.. Path quality varies so be careful, but anything on the main path along the island is pretty runnable. But Math spent most the week moaning about the rough paths..

Checkout the arch dukes path.. Up around 3000ft along a 1000ft drop.. Stunning views out over the sea.. Careful a stumble and you can be off.. Math had a bad fall and nearly went over the edge, cut up all his back and shoulders and nearly went over the 1000ft drop.. Never laughed so much..

Also check out the watches sold by the Liberian watch dealers, again I think it was in Valdermossa, some real bargains to be had...

I'll post the relevant pages from sarahs blog of running later, or check it out, it was April 2010..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    There's not too much from polenca
    yes, you'd have to get in the car / on the bus. The buses are pretty good and I think the Soller bus takes you up over the mountains.