Thread: Crocked Ankle

Crocked Ankle

Turned my ankle pretty good about 3 weeks ago and although i can run ok and it doesn't bother me to much it feels quite tight and nags me a bit, mornings more so, i can feel the rest of my leg over compensating a bit, any advice on how to loosen it up and regain a good range of movement in it?

Re: Crocked Ankle

Proprioception exercises. Wobble boards are good but you can also stand on one leg and step out in the directions of the clockface with your other leg. Tap your foot on the ground at each 'hour'. Try doing it with your eyes closed too. That helps get your balance back and strengthen the ankle. I also used a theraband and sat with my legs straight in front of me and the band hooked over the toes of my bad leg. pointing your toes forwards and backwards against the band and also doing circular motions with resistance. I overcompensated with my good leg and it lead to knee problems on my bad one so I'd address that asap if I were you (squats, glute exercises etc). Now over to the experts, I imagine some of the physios on here will have some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    Turned my ankle pretty good about 3 weeks ago and although i can run ok and it doesn't bother me to much it feels quite tight and nags me a bit, mornings more so, i can feel the rest of my leg over compensating a bit, any advice on how to loosen it up and regain a good range of movement in it?
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Proprioception exercises. Wobble boards are good but you can also stand on one leg and step out in the directions of the clockface with your other leg. Tap your foot on the ground at each 'hour'. Try doing it with your eyes closed too. That helps get your balance back and strengthen the ankle. I also used a theraband and sat with my legs straight in front of me and the band hooked over the toes of my bad leg. pointing your toes forwards and backwards against the band and also doing circular motions with resistance. I overcompensated with my good leg and it lead to knee problems on my bad one so I'd address that asap if I were you (squats, glute exercises etc). Now over to the experts, I imagine some of the physios on here will have some ideas.
    Thanks for that, i ran 21 miles on the 3rd run back and after about 18 miles my ITB on the other leg flared up but i knew why that was the case! Did 15 this morning and everything was fine apart from it feeling quite tight and little sore.

Sorry to hear about yr ankle Fleeter. have a read of these, and if you've any questions just drop us a line:

http://globaltherapies.wordpress.com...to-avoid-them/
    http://globaltherapies.wordpress.com...ankle-sprains/

wishing you a speedy recovery,
    Lynne

Ta Lynne,

Will get myself a hedgehog.

Good advice above Fleeter. I always recommend proprioception exercises, it's definitely the way forward. Even get used to doing daft things like brushing your teeth morning and night whilst standing on one leg (close your eyes as well if you like, but make sure you're not going to fall into anything!).

I know some people tape up the ankle to start with, but I'm not a great fan. Work on getting the body to do what it does well. I'd only really suggest ankle taping as a mental stimulus rather than a physical one....people often "hold on" to an ankle sprain and it plays on their mind.

Anyway, good luck with the recovery....see you on a hill somewhere soon!
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Right been doing the exercises for the last 6 weeks or so and I have noticed an improvement but its still not 100%. Running is pretty fine apart from slight niggles here and there but it still feels very tight first thing in the mornings and sore to touch but I nearly have a full range of movement in my ankle, anything else I could be doing? Or is it just a case of being patient?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    Right been doing the exercises for the last 6 weeks or so and I have noticed an improvement but its still not 100%. Running is pretty fine apart from slight niggles here and there but it still feels very tight first thing in the mornings and sore to touch but I nearly have a full range of movement in my ankle, anything else I could be doing? Or is it just a case of being patient?
    Have you had any soft tissue therapy (aka sports massage)? There might be some residual tension in the muscles that needs intervention rather than just rest/exercises, or if there was actual muscle damage then scar tissue may have formed and be causing the tightness - either way soft tissue work can help this.
    regards,
    Lynne
    ps did you get a hedgehog?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    Have you had any soft tissue therapy (aka sports massage)? There might be some residual tension in the muscles that needs intervention rather than just rest/exercises, or if there was actual muscle damage then scar tissue may have formed and be causing the tightness - either way soft tissue work can help this.
    regards,
    Lynne
    ps did you get a hedgehog?
    Have sent you a PM