Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: dibber or die !!

Re: dibber or die !!

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    ...then in some circumstances the charge should be waivered as you have not choice in whether you take on the risk of losing it or not
    Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    I think it would be the decent thing to waive the charge in this case.
    I have to disagree, what you are both suggesting is that in extreme weather (when lost dibbers are likely to occur) the race organiser should agree to cover the cost of lost dibbers. In practice this would result in one of two things (or both). Firstly, race entry fees would increase dramatically (who would organise a race that not only takes a lot of hard work and time, but could leave you hugely out of pocket). Secondly, any poor weather or conditions would result in cancelled races by organisers not willing to risk said expense. Remember, they would have to assume that a large proportion of dibbers would get lost, just in case that happened.

Yes, paying £30 is annoying, and it would piss me off too. But, it's in the rules, it was lent out for the race, and if someone lost it then they have to pay for it. Simples.

A friend of mine lost a pair of x talons at a race last year (someone lifted them from outside the school hall the race hq was in) so her race cost her £70 or whatever more than everyone else, these things happen.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

It was pretty clear before hand that if you lost your dibber you would have to pay £30, so yes, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Wow wasn't expecting this response. Guess the answer is simple maybe we should all own our own and that way we are responsible for them. However, presumably RO buy these in bulk and I would think that would bring the price down considerably. At the time of writing I was just happy that person as with all members of the fell running community got back safe and it seemed petty even though we were warned.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lloyd View Post
    Wow wasn't expecting this response. Guess the answer is simple maybe we should all own our own and that way we are responsible for them. However, presumably RO buy these in bulk and I would think that would bring the price down considerably. At the time of writing I was just happy that person as with all members of the fell running community got back safe and it seemed petty even though we were warned.
    I was there and it was absolutely clear when you picked up your dibber that it was your responsibility and it'd cost £30 if you lost it. The RO also pointed out that everyone competing must be absolutely sure of themselves in those conditions and to not go out if they were'nt sure. The river crossings were fantastic and, yeah there's a chance you could lose a dibber, but that's all part of the fun. I ended up half swimming one crossing myself but there's no way the RO should pay either way. Jesus such a brilliantly organised race and someone wants to come up with a stupid complaint!

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Jesus such a brilliantly organised race and someone wants to come up with a stupid complaint!
    I couldn't agree more.

[QUOTE=John Lloyd;489155].... However, presumably RO buy these in bulk and I would think that would bring the price down considerably..... /QUOTE]

No! R.O. does not buy them in bulk. As with the rest of the S.I. kit, they are on hire for the day from SportIdent. If the R.O. does not return the appropriate number to S.I., he will be charged the going rate for a replacement dibber by S.I. The R.O. is merely passing-on that cost to the appropriate competitor.
    And don't whinge about "HAVING" to use S.I., where a R.O. deems to employ it. It should help to improve the accountability of competitors' whereabouts.
    Look at the big picture, not isolated incidents
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 18-06-2012 at 06:56 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Hear hear!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post

No! R.O. does not buy them in bulk. As with the rest of the S.I. kit, they are on hire for the day from SportIdent. If the R.O. does not return the appropriate number to S.I., he will be charged the going rate for a replacement dibber by S.I. The R.O. is merely passing-on that cost to the appropriate competitor.
    And don't whinge about "HAVING" to use S.I., where a R.O. deems to employ it. It should help to improve the accountability of competitors' whereabouts.
    Look at the big picture, not isolated incidents
    Last edited by Hanneke; 18-06-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    There is now a dibber waiting to leach its circuit board metals into a water course or be swallowed by a sheep.
    Thought we were supposed to act responsibly and "only leave studmarks".
    How does such claptrap help? really?

Wheezing donkey makes the best point here.. the RO will be out of pocket. He's done the hard work. yeah its shit. Just cough up.

Because of that RO's guts, many RO's wouldn't have let that race go ahead, people had some great challenges, great fun, that's what fell running is about, a proper memorable race.. and yes it can go wrong as we all know, so a lost dibber is no huge issue in the grand scheme, but also it shouldn't be the RO's money which is lost..

I'm sorry but I think the core of fell running is personal responsibility. If you have it and you lose it, you pay for it.. simplest, most honest way.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I think the core of fell running is personal responsibility.
    I agree. That's why I think it'd be shame to have dibbers for all races, as some seem to be suggesting. If safety is the main benefit, well you're responsible for yourself. If getting results immediately is the main benefit, I can wait a day or two to find out how I did.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    I agree. That's why I think it'd be shame to have dibbers for all races, as some seem to be suggesting. If safety is the main benefit, well you're responsible for yourself. If getting results immediately is the main benefit, I can wait a day or two to find out how I did.
    Why? You are still responsible?

It just aids rescue, is another saftety level...

I don't see how them being a saftey benefit, i.e. providing some information on last known point, contradicts with the notion that we are responsible fro ourselves..