Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Lakes - where did I go ?

Great Lakes - where did I go ?

Hi all,

I got totally lost and am trying to work out where I went. I crossed the esk after the corner and then followed a path for some time to another river crossing. From there I went over a boggy section then up and left into the mist following some other runners. Near the top of the very rocky climb I lost them and believe I went too far right and off track, I followed east (but feel I may have drifted too far south) for some time avoiding various rocky outcrops. Some point later i thought i had gone too high and decided to descend and to see if i could find any other runners. Once I came out of the cloud I had reached the edge of a valley. There was a wall which had a Sheep gate on and there was a ruin not too far away. I then decided I was too low and turned back uphill following the wall. I went through 2 gates and then left over a stile (the sort that cross over at the top) and followed a path upwards back into the mist. After reaching the top of this hill and being unable to find anyone or anything I went right and ended up near some very steep looking cliffs. After climbing back up away from these and having been out for almost 6 hours I made a decision to follow a stream/river down and get out of the mountains. I ended up a couple of miles down the road from Wrynose where I blagged a lift from.

It is highly possible i was near hardknott when i first came out of the mist but im not sure.

Any Ideas

Dan
    Last edited by dantodman; 19-06-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Re: Great Lakes - where did I

Quote Originally Posted by dantodman View Post
    Hi all,

I got totally lost and am trying to work out where I went. I crossed the esk after the corner and then followed a path for some time to another river crossing. From there I went over a boggy section then up and left into the mist following some other runners. Near the top of the very rocky climb I lost them and believe I went too far right and off track, I followed east (but feel I may have drifted too far south) for some time avoiding various rocky outcrops. Some point later i thought i had gone too high and decided to descend and to see if i could find any other runners. I reached a wall which had a Sheep gate on and there was a ruin not too far away. I then decided I was too low and turned back uphill following the wall. I went through 2 gates and then left over a stile (the sort that cross over at the top) and followed a path upwards back into the mist. After reaching the top of this hill and being unable to find anyone or anything I went right and ended up near some very steep looking cliffs. After climbing back up away from these and having been out for almost 6 hours I made a decision to follow a stream/river down and get out of the mountains. I ended up a couple of miles down the road from Wrynose where I blagged a lift from.

Any Ideas

Dan
    Pendle ???
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    Pendle ???
    I would have been alright at Pendle know my way round there a lot better.

I can't believe you even attempted a race in those conditions without having reccied the route first, or having the necessary navigation skills to do the race.
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Quote Originally Posted by dantodman View Post
    I would have been alright at Pendle know my way round there a lot better.
    LoL i see this thread may have some mileage, probably about as much as u did on Sat well done for sticking at it!
    ok my next guess Gaitscale Close base of little Stand
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    I can't believe you even attempted a race in those conditions without having reccied the route first, or having the necessary navigation skills to do the race.
    Seems a bit harsh.

Rob Jebb himself could've got lost in those conditions. Morgan Donnelly apparently missed a checkpoint.

Well done for entering Dan and giving it a go. A proper challenge.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Master

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Well thats total bollocks....Ive reccied many races before and then screwed up nav on the day.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Well thats total bollocks....Ive reccied many races before and then screwed up nav on the day.
    The problem with recceing is you only know the route.. not the area.. lose the route/follow the wrong person/lose concentration and you're on unfamiliar ground without the ability to nav..

The necessary nav skills are essential whether you recce or not, but this seems lost on many fell runners.. the recce, recce, recce mentality is strange. TBH its just an excuse to run slowly and not get fitter.. 'oh I'm recceing'.. save time by route choice rather than a better CV system.. to put it bluntly...

The OP had the sense to realise his race was over and get safe and off the hill, so good decision.

Reccing is also not easy if you do not live near the Lakes/Snowdonia and/or in my case lots of family commitments (taxi service) over the weekend.

Who said he didn't have any nav ability? I know nothing about him so wouldn't jump in with judgemental comments. It went wrong on the day. At leat he gave it a go, and he sorted himself out.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC