Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: are morning runs beneficial

are morning runs beneficial

I am just after your advice/wisdom/experience on whether early pre-work runs are beneficial. For me, I normally get up around 6.30am but could get up earlier in order to fit a morning run in. A morning run could start around 6.30 for about 30-40 mins. My problem is that I totally hate it. I have tried morning runs a couple of times but feel as though I am about to have a cardiac. The most I can can manage is a steady plod. What I am after is your advice on whether even just a steady plod/slog on the roads is better than nothing (it is, at least, a time of the day when I not in demand from either work or home) or am I just better staying in bed and doing harder sessions as and when I can fit them into a busy work/home life. Thanks for your help.

Re: are morning runs beneficia

sorry - I have just seen another similar thread. I will look at any advice given there.

Good for weight loss as you are going out on an empty stomach!

Must partly depend on whether you are comparing 5-6 morning plods each week with only getting out once or twice for good runs later in the day or whether, without the plods, you'd still get out for at least four good runs. In the first case I'd say you have to be gaining something, in the latter, maybe not.

thanks for that. That is common sense and clear logic. so I guess a morning plod is still better than nothing if it happens that this is the only time in the day I can get out.

I think it's the best time of day to run. But then I run to work so am killing two birds.
    I think (instinctively, don't ask me to back it up) running on an empty stomach is also good in some way to do with energy-efficiency / using the right energy sources.
    And it appears to keep the weight down very well too.
    And you're less likely to duck out of a run if it's the first thing you do in the day rather than at the end of a tiring working day - for me anyway.

I run a hilly 3.5 miles around 7am most mornings - yes they can be gut wrenching slogs BUT what I find incredibly helpful is that your body doesn't lie at that time of a morning so the time comparisons are an excellent source of information about your state of fitness.

I usually plod round in c.28mins, but after real hard training that can go up to 32mins - in which case I don't push my evening session hard again until the morning run comes back down towards the 28mins. Pre race or tapering I give the same effort and the time comes down to c.25mins - so I have real proof that I am rested and ready.

I know it takes all sorts but at 52 this is the sort of "listening to my body" that keeps me going.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    . My problem is that I totally hate it.
    there is your answer right there.
    doesn't really matter about the theory or whether or not its good. If you hate it its not a good plan for you.

training 101 - enjoy

I think morning runs are good if you only intend to go slow. I find that if i have a cup of tea or coffee and just wake up for 20-30 minutes after getting out of bed then i'm fine to run steady for about 30-60 minutes, any longer than that and i need food in me. I cant run just out of bed, always feel like i'm about to die. Having said that, i only run in the mornings when i know i wont be able to run in the evening due to other commitments.

It there many people out there who have no choice in having to do very early morning runs. I have a young family and my main job on the weekend is getting them to their various activities on Saturday and Sunday morning. I need to be back from my Sat/Sun run at 9am. So if it is a long run I have to get up earlier. I was up at 4:30am back in early January to get in a 4 hr run in preparation for "The Trigger" so a couple of hrs of it was with the head torch. Regularly I have been out at 6am winter or summer to get in 3 hr runs.

It is a shocker when the alarm goes off and horrible thought getting out but once started I enjoy them. I have seen some lovely dawns