Thread: Organising a fell race

maddaddy

Organising a fell race

I am thinking of organising a fell race for next summer butnever done anything like that before
    So a few questions

1- Is an 8 mile race (700 m ascent) too much for anevening race?
    2- Do I have to get land owners permission or isthis just a courtesy as it would be over public right of ways? There is a smallsection that goes over UU land?
    3- Presumably I can make my own decisions overnumbers of marshals if any?
    4- If it is not registered through FRA what are theimplications?
    5- What are the costs I should consider beyond somenumbers and safety pins?

As it would be a there and back race I was thinking therecould be two races in one i.e. an 8 mile race and a 4 mile race
    Thanks in advance for any pointers

Re: Organising a fell race

1. no.. blencathra is similar.. probably more ascent..

Quote Originally Posted by maddaddy View Post
    I am thinking of organising a fell race for next summer butnever done anything like that before
    So a few questions

2- Do I have to get land owners permission or isthis just a courtesy as it would be over public right of ways? There is a smallsection that goes over UU land?

As it would be a there and back race I was thinking therecould be two races in one i.e. an 8 mile race and a 4 mile race
    1. No, not necessarily - depends on where it is/how far from your target "audience" the race is. Also depends on what time of year, what start time you want and what kind of terrain you are thinking on running over. If I were planning it, I would be thinking of roughly what time the final 1/3 of the runners would be running (in terms of you getting any marshals in off the hills, prize presentation, getting home at a "reasonable" hour etc)
    2. I think you do, but speak to other ROs and Chris Knox at FRA and get good advice
    3. Yes - but you will need some marshals I would have thought - even if it's just a summit marshal(s) and timekeeper/recorder. If it's going to be flagged, you need less marshals...
    4. Can't comment - others will know better. I would have thought it wise to register with FRA for insurance purposes though
    5. Any prizes (if any?), parking fields? pub or something to use as a base? Again other ROs will have answers to this.

Re: 8 and 4mile race - good idea, but don't start both off together? Although saying that, we manage to set everyone off together for our Fell v Trail Race (Rombalds Romp) and everyone managed to follow the correct course!
    Last edited by fozzy; 21-06-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

I presume you've read this: http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/pdf/com...organisers.pdf

1- Is an 8 mile race (700 m ascent) too much for anevening race? Probably not. Need to consider how much daylight you will have/how long marshals are out
    2- Do I have to get land owners permission or isthis just a courtesy as it would be over public right of ways? There is a smallsection that goes over UU land? yes, I'd get landowners permission and definitely UU permission.

3- Presumably I can make my own decisions overnumbers of marshals if any? Yep. I'd err on the side of caution.
    4- If it is not registered through FRA what are theimplications? No idea. How will you insure it?
    5- What are the costs I should consider beyond somenumbers and safety pins? Prizes, marking tape, flags, timing equipment.

Insurance with the FRA is free so long as you register and fullfill the ROs safety requirements.
    I would encourage you to do that as it will ensure that you follow a correct procedure that covers you and helps also make sure that your entrants will have a good experience. The link from Fishbulb has all that you need.

Oh, and good luck. Which area is it going to be and are you attached or near a club. If you can get some help I would because it's often a bigger job than you might expect.

Quote Originally Posted by maddaddy View Post
    So a few questions

Please see http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/organisers.php for all the information I have placed on the FRA website for race organisers.

Margaret Chippendale (FRA Fixtures Secretary)

maddaddy

Quote Originally Posted by FRAFixtures View Post
    Please see http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/organisers.php for all the information I have placed on the FRA website for race organisers.

Margaret Chippendale (FRA Fixtures Secretary)
    Many thanks