Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calf Troubles

Calf Troubles

Currently sat with my leg on ice as two ibuprofen hopefully work some magic, feeling sorry for myself after my calf 'popping' four miles into a run and having to limp home.

Miserable.

Just hoping it's better for Wasdale.

In case anyone has any advice, the pain is on the outside/left side of my left calf, near the point where the main calf muscle stops and it really hurts if I put any pressure on it. I suppose the best advice is the usual advice of give it time or see a physio.

Hope everyone else is having a better evening
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Re: Calf Troubles

Hate to speculate, but a 'popping' (sound/feeling?) around where muscle/tendon meet could be a severe tear...my advice is to get a physio/sports massage therapist to help you work out what you've done, and give you advice on how to go with rehab. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation (above heart level) is the best thing to do for now.
    best wishes for a speedy recovery,
    Lynne

ps. stop prodding it to see if it still hurts - a natural reaction but one which doesn't usually help in the first few days of injuring soft tissues!

Hi, thanks for that. Yes, I'd say it was more of a feeling than sound. Had a slight twinge 10 days ago and this was my first run since then. Obviously didn't give it long enough.

Think I'll follow your advice about seeing someone, and also about not prodding! Thanks again.

I've not popped by strained my calf in that area a couple
    of times I think it might be the soleus muscle. RICE is best my problems with
    this kind of injury has been trying to
    get back to running to quickly. I've found with recent experience at least two weeks
    for a gentle strain.

You have my sympathy LFF as I've got lower leg problems as well since Saturday. It's affecting my whole lower right leg. Its swollen from below the knee to the ankle. I measured it and my right lower leg is 1" wider round the calf muscle and 0.5" wider round my lower leg than the good left one!. It will bear my weight ok but its very difficult to walk on without pain. I iced it when I got home from the race on Saturday and have been resting it up since but I'm getting concerned now as the swelling is showing no sign of reducing. I plan to see my GP tomorrow to make sure its not something other than muscle damage. It's looking like a long haul at the moment though so I don't see any running in the near future :thunbdown:

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    You have my sympathy LFF as I've got lower leg problems as well since Saturday. It's affecting my whole lower right leg. Its swollen from below the knee to the ankle. I measured it and my right lower leg is 1" wider round the calf muscle and 0.5" wider round my lower leg than the good left one!. It will bear my weight ok but its very difficult to walk on without pain. I iced it when I got home from the race on Saturday and have been resting it up since but I'm getting concerned now as the swelling is showing no sign of reducing. I plan to see my GP tomorrow to make sure its not something other than muscle damage. It's looking like a long haul at the moment though so I don't see any running in the near future :thunbdown:
    Glad yr off to see yr GP so quickly. make sure your leg/foot is elevated above your heart - and if you can sleep with a pillow under your leg - this lets gravity help with draining excess fluids

Sorry to hear that. Hope it's nothing serious.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    Glad yr off to see yr GP so quickly. make sure your leg/foot is elevated above your heart - and if you can sleep with a pillow under your leg - this lets gravity help with draining excess fluids
    Thanks for the tip about the pillow I am trying that out. I saw the GP and he has given me some anti-inflammatories and told me to keep the leg moving (he mentioned blood clots which was a bit scary!) but no physio till the swelling goes down. Some spectacular bruising starting to appear now and I am busy perfecting my "man walking through a minefield" impersonation Every now and then I overstep and this pathetic little squeal comes out from my mouth

Thanks for the tip about the pillow I am trying that out. I saw the GP and he has given me some anti-inflammatories and told me to keep the leg moving (he mentioned blood clots which was a bit scary!) but no physio till the swelling goes down. Some spectacular bruising starting to appear now and I am busy perfecting my "man walking through a minefield" impersonation Every now and then I overstep and this pathetic little squeal comes out from my mouth
    I've had a DVT in the past and there was swelling and pain, but no bruising, so hopefully it's 'just' a strain of some sort.

Physio for me tonight anyway.

(And am also doing the pillow bit.)

I went to a physio last night and he diagnosed it as a muscle tear, but nothing too serious. Said no running for two weeks and ruled out Wasdale (based on the distance alone, I hadn't mentioned the mountains). Still keeping a glimmer of hope that I'll be ok for it, but not to worry if not. It's hardly Andy Schleck missing out on the TdeF!

Don't imagine there's many fell runners in these parts, but I'd really recommend the place if there are any:

http://www.loughboroughphysio.com/

I saw Dave and he was great.