Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calf Troubles

Re: Calf Troubles

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    I went to a physio last night and he diagnosed it as a muscle tear, but nothing too serious. Said no running for two weeks and ruled out Wasdale (based on the distance alone, I hadn't mentioned the mountains). Still keeping a glimmer of hope that I'll be ok for it, but not to worry if not. It's hardly Andy Schleck missing out on the TdeF!

Don't imagine there's many fell runners in these parts, but I'd really recommend the place if there are any:

http://www.loughboroughphysio.com/

I saw Dave and he was great.
    Thats good news Josh , glad you know exactly what the problem is and what you have to do now.
    No country for old men.

Progress:

2 Physio sessions after seeing GP for second time. The GP just said I needed physio on the second visit. The physio (private) said I could have gone to them much earlier. All the bruising/fluid eventually drained down into my foot but I am still unable to contract my right inside calf muscle and it still looks swollen compared with the left one. I can't lift myself off my toes using my right leg only, its not painful it just doesn't work. Its painful when the physio digs her fingers into my calf however to break up the scar tissue and the ultrasound is really weird as your leg muscle suddenly starts twitching and pricking. The physio is confident she can rebuild me though and get me back running again so at least I am feeling positive at the moment :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Progress:

2 Physio sessions after seeing GP for second time. The GP just said I needed physio on the second visit. The physio (private) said I could have gone to them much earlier. All the bruising/fluid eventually drained down into my foot but I am still unable to contract my right inside calf muscle and it still looks swollen compared with the left one. I can't lift myself off my toes using my right leg only, its not painful it just doesn't work. Its painful when the physio digs her fingers into my calf however to break up the scar tissue and the ultrasound is really weird as your leg muscle suddenly starts twitching and pricking. The physio is confident she can rebuild me though and get me back running again so at least I am feeling positive at the moment :thumbup:
    I'm a bit behind with the forum due to busy work period - good to hear your on the mend Alf. How is the calf now? Sadly the NHS are often too slow in getting referrals for physio/soft tissue therapy - there is often something that can be done in the first few days after injury that can speed up rehab. It's also good to get advice as early as possible so you have realistic expectations about what you can and can't do.

I went to a physio last night and he diagnosed it as a muscle tear, but nothing too serious. Said no running for two weeks and ruled out Wasdale (based on the distance alone, I hadn't mentioned the mountains). Still keeping a glimmer of hope that I'll be ok for it, but not to worry if not. It's hardly Andy Schleck missing out on the TdeF!

Don't imagine there's many fell runners in these parts, but I'd really recommend the place if there are any:

http://www.loughboroughphysio.com/

I saw Dave and he was great.

LFF - how's your muscle tear healing? are you back running yet?

Hi,

Yes, back running now. I had two and a half weeks off after it, doing stretches and some swimming, building up to walks with some 'trotting' and then three miles out with a half mile run, half mile walk, building up to a mile run. I did Wasdale, taking it gently (not that that seemed to make it easier!) and had another week off after that.

Getting back into it now. Can still feel something in the area the day afeter I've run, but it's pretty much not noticeable when running, which I thought was a bit odd. Maybe scar tissue? No idea.

Fingers crossed I'm ok though.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Hi,

Yes, back running now. I had two and a half weeks off after it, doing stretches and some swimming, building up to walks with some 'trotting' and then three miles out with a half mile run, half mile walk, building up to a mile run. I did Wasdale, taking it gently (not that that seemed to make it easier!) and had another week off after that.

Getting back into it now. Can still feel something in the area the day afeter I've run, but it's pretty much not noticeable when running, which I thought was a bit odd. Maybe scar tissue? No idea.

Fingers crossed I'm ok though.
    Yey, glad yr back running. It could be scar tissue that you're feeling in the area - might be worth you having a soft tissue treatment at some point soon so it can be worked through. Realigning the tissues correctly after injury could help to prevent that being a weak area in the future.
    good news yr running, always a good feeling

Thanks. Might do that then. That makes sense.

Yes, it's quite nice running after being off for a while. Your usual expectations are out the window and you're just appreciating being out there again.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Running again Yippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Running again Yippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    Congratulations Alf!! Been following your posts with interest this past week. I had pain and swelling around the calf and bruising following 20 miler last Sunday. I picked up on the point your physio made about going to see them earlier and heeded your advice. Went straight to physio on Monday and its been diagnosed with a grade 1 tear.

So with 2 weeks to go to the Kielder Trail Marathon it's looking ok that I might be able to make it, despite the probability it'll be on the back of 3 weeks rest and recovery.

I would've normally passed it off as usual aches and pains (apart from the bruising which I'd never had before) but people putting their experiences on the forum really convinced me it needed to be seen to. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by sifell View Post
    Congratulations Alf!! Been following your posts with interest this past week. I had pain and swelling around the calf and bruising following 20 miler last Sunday. I picked up on the point your physio made about going to see them earlier and heeded your advice. Went straight to physio on Monday and its been diagnosed with a grade 1 tear.

So with 2 weeks to go to the Kielder Trail Marathon it's looking ok that I might be able to make it, despite the probability it'll be on the back of 3 weeks rest and recovery.

I would've normally passed it off as usual aches and pains (apart from the bruising which I'd never had before) but people putting their experiences on the forum really convinced me it needed to be seen to. Thanks!!
    Hope you make the Kielder sifell. I have a way to go before I race again but the muscle on my right calf is now starting to resemble the muscle on my left calf so confidence is high I did refer to my physio (affectionately) as Helga in the house of pain as it *leeding hurt at times but it did the trick and I would recommend anyone else to go down the physio path sooner than later