Thread: Meon Valley Plod

Meon Valley Plod

Any other Southern members thinking of this one? Its on Feb 11th, starting at Clanfield, Hampshire. About 20 miles with some good climbs (including Butser Hill) and usually plenty of mud. Details on www.pjc.org.uk

Chris

Re: Meon Valley Plod

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    Any other Southern members thinking of this one? Its on Feb 11th, starting at Clanfield, Hampshire. About 20 miles with some good climbs (including Butser Hill) and usually plenty of mud. Details on www.pjc.org.uk

JJ and I have decided on a likely trip to Hampshire next weekend. If so we'll have a run as it will make a change from the Trog.

Is it all off road and What shoes would be best (bearing in mind that I only have Walshes or road racers to choose from)?

Hope to see you there.
    Last edited by Chris; 04-02-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Chris,

There's a couple of miles of road, which is not much fun in Walshes, but on the other hand there are bits where you're likely to end up on your backside if you wear road shoes. On balance (sorry!) I'd go for the Walshes.

Course is marshalled at road crossing, marked elsewhere, but each year a few people manage to go off route. Plenty of water stations, usually jelly babies and cake at some of them.

If you do run it, I'll be wearing a green Stubbington Runners vest and race number 310.

Graham

I did it a few years ago in Walshes as it had been raining heavily. If it has been dry or is frosty I would go with trail shoes. When I lived in Alton I used to train a lot on Butser Hill (part of the course) and some of the land is well drained.

Chris

We didn't get there for the race as we didn't think it was a good weekend to travel on the roads. How did it go gej?

Some ok races on TomTrailrunners site include Combe Gibbet to Overton. We'll get along to a Hampshire or West Sussex races some time JJ and I.

It went pretty well thanks, Chris. I had a cold during the week and at one point wondered if I would make it, but I'd paid my entry fee and don't like wasting money so went anyway. Weather was pretty good apart from a couple of brief showers. I wore my walshes, flew past other runners on the muddy descents, but suffered a bit on the roads. They'd changed the course this year so there was more road, which didn't please me. All told, a good day out and well pleased with my 38th place.

Do let me know if you get down this way for a race.