Thread: Calf injury

Calf injury

Hi,

After having run with the wrong shoes and without stretching, I had a calf inflammation (with swelling on the first day) which I've been feeling for about 2 weeks. Since yesterday my calf is essentially symptom-free. Should I wait a little bit more just in case or can I resume running as before straight away (this time with the right shoes) ?

Re: Calf injury

My advice: wait.
    Start this week with light stretches and bit of strengthening work.
    Give it another week before a regime of stretch/slow short jog on the flat, preferably grass/repeat/ice.
    Build that up over a few days, resisting the temptation to increase speed. Don't do hills. See a physio if you think you might have any sore lumps or tender areas that could be scar tissue which will benefit from being broken down through massage.
    Allow 5/6 weeks before 'proper' running. You've done the first two.
    The fact that your calf is symptom-free when you're not running doesn't mean it's repaired itself sufficiently to take the hammering it would get from a sudden increase in pace.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Thanks for the advice, I will wait a bit then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    My advice: wait.
    Start this week with light stretches and bit of strengthening work.
    Give it another week before a regime of stretch/slow short jog on the flat, preferably grass/repeat/ice.
    Build that up over a few days, resisting the temptation to increase speed. Don't do hills. See a physio if you think you might have any sore lumps or tender areas that could be scar tissue which will benefit from being broken down through massage.
    Allow 5/6 weeks before 'proper' running. You've done the first two.
    The fact that your calf is symptom-free when you're not running doesn't mean it's repaired itself sufficiently to take the hammering it would get from a sudden increase in pace.
    Very good advice.

I've had problems getting back into running after 20 year lay off.
    Medium calf tears were giving me big problems.
    I was not giving these tears long enough to heal.

Eventually I started taking all the advice I could, 6 weeks to rest after the injury for it to repair properly.
    Stretching, massage, and a very very steady build up of gentle running after the 6 weeks.

I've now run for 4 months with no injuries to calfs, and am now racing and training.

You have to follow the rules to the letter, or the injury will most likely strike again, and your back to square one and that is a sickening feeling.

rs2315.