Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 21-June-2007 BG Attempts....

Master and MR

Re: 21-June-2007 BG Attempts..

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Give it a go Daz you'll have plenty of support, but the best thing is all the great days out checking the route and getting BG fit

Bill
    thanks Bill
    ive been giving it more thought today and was worried if id be able to ever get any support or not but it seems like fellrunners are the kindest people on earth and its always been an amazement to me how people from all fellrunning backgrounds have welcomed me into this sport, i think im gonna give it a try next year.

geoff , how do i join pennine

On my first attempt at the BG, two people whom I had never met before (Ali Welsh & Paul Atkinson) but had read about me trying it on the UKClimbing forums offered and turned up to help. The BG is getting more popular and folk like to get involved so...

Putting what Bill (Baggins) says in another way: no day out in the Lakes is wasted.

On a slightly different note, I'm trying to keep my website up to date with successful completions, see http://www.aqvi55.dsl.pipex.com/run/bgr_members.htm and click on the year "2007", so if you see any errors or omissions can you let me know please.

PS. I preferred your previous avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    thanks Bill
    ive been giving it more thought today and was worried if id be able to ever get any support or not but it seems like fellrunners are the kindest people on earth and its always been an amazement to me how people from all fellrunning backgrounds have welcomed me into this sport, i think im gonna give it a try next year.
    You would get a lot of support Daz and i would help you out whenever you needed it (i have also decided i might try a BG when im 24 )
    The race does not always go to the swift, but to the ones who keep running

Quote Originally Posted by iveletmyselfdown View Post
    it was certainly an inspiring weekend for me and i was glad to have been able to spend 6.5 hours on saturday supporting you both (but specifically Dan).
    It was great having you with us for the weekend. Your turn next year - and I'll definitely be there to support you.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    geoff , how do i join pennine
    Just go to the Pennine website for a membership application form. But better still, get yourself to the Royal Hotel, Hayfield, on a Thursday at 7pm and join us for a social run followed an even more social pint. I think you'll find us quite friendly! (I probably won't be running this week, but I'll be there for a drink later).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Hi Rhys, glad to hear you got round OK. Some video footage of leg 2 of you and Chris - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmZFEUQMyfo

Bob
    Bob, fantastic to met up with you. I was quite envious when Chris said she had you as a navigator. And you look so young.......

Keep that website going - particularly that calculator and people's accounts - very useful.

Excellent bit of filming - particularly Chris coming out of the mist.

Thanks again Bob. A great day out for everyone.

Hope all BGers have booked a room at the Shap Well Hotel - it's going to be a great evening.
    fell running.....are you trying to be funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    On a slightly different note, I'm trying to keep my website up to date with successful completions, see http://www.aqvi55.dsl.pipex.com/run/bgr_members.htm and click on the year "2007", so if you see any errors or omissions can you let me know please.
    Dan Riley (Pennine) completed on Saturday as well, Bob.

Can you let us know when you get the final tally for last weekend? It would be interesting to know just how many got round.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB
    Can you let us know when you get the final tally for last weekend? It would be interesting to know just how many got round.
    Currently up to nine "names" plus Flipper and his mate. There have been some other names or forenames mentioned as doing the BGR but no indication of whether they succeeded or not.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Just go to the Pennine website for a membership application form. But better still, get yourself to the Royal Hotel, Hayfield, on a Thursday at 7pm and join us for a social run followed an even more social pint. I think you'll find us quite friendly! (I probably won't be running this week, but I'll be there for a drink later).
    thanks geoff , thats much appreciated , i will try and work out what thursdays i can try and get over, its a long way but i think i may be able to work it in with my job

I got round on Saturday with a mate - Derek Hurton and Dave Sargent - we're both from Eden Runners (penrith area). We had a 1am start and finished in 22.41 after a fairly cloudy day. The weather probably helped in the sense of avoiding dehydration.

Lows included:

a bout of major knee pain that mysteriously started on Calf Crag and just as mysteriously ended on Bowfell;

looking at my watch on the Langdales when I was feeling kn**kered only to find out that we were less than halfway through:

the inevitable emotional downs at regular intervals through the day;

and the interminable descent into Wasdale.

Highs included:

getting round!

our superb pacers who navigated us almost faultlessly through the clag;

lentil soup at Dunmail and mushroom soup at Honister.

Thanks to the guys with the ladder and ropes at Broad Stand - I needed their help, as well as the help provided by pacer Andy Ramsey who basically let me stand on his head to get up the rock... I didn't particularly enjoy that bit of the day, especially when the rope knocked my glasses off.
    Total respect for the west lancs runner who set off at midnight and who we caught up at Rosset Pike (passing and repassing at Wasdale, Yewbarrow, Honister and Dale Head) - he came in with 10 minutes to spare and must have pulled out all the stops in the final hour and a half.

I haven't stopped thinking about the day since, and my knees wouldn't let me forget anyway! If you're thinking of having a go, DO IT! And don't worry too much about the training. I was well off the benchmark of 10,000 feet in a week and didn't start running training until January having missed the second half of last year with a foot injury. I only had 4 sessions of more than 4 hours before the day. I can let any interested parties have my training diary.

Good luck to anyone having a crack in the next few weeks.