Thread: Cotswold Way in a Day- advice?

Cotswold Way in a Day- advice?

Morning Campers,

Having gotten around the mighty Bob Graham in early June I've decided to try to 'carry my fitness' for an August attempt on the Cotswold Way in a Day. Does anyone know anything about this challenge? I live about 100m from the 'Way' in Gloucestershire and doing it in a day has been an ambition since I was 12. I've run bits of it in various team relay races but was wondering about the following:

What's all this about official time keepers to ratify attempts - how can I contact them?
    There're a couple of places (Stinchcombe Hill and nr King Stanley) where the route splits - which is the official route?
    How many people have already done it (not many from what I can work out)?
    Can anyone help pace me on some of it as at present I'll be doing about 65 miles of it on my tod?

All help gratefully received.

Andy

Re: Cotswold Way in a Day- adv

The best site for route information is the Cotswold Relay site, shows the current official route - http://www.cotswoldwayrelay.co.uk/. This years relay was won in 12 hours 34 mins!!!

Hi Andy... funny you should have posted this! I'm part of TeamBath who organised last Saturday's race... we had a record 80 teams competing, I ran leg 1 from Chipping Camden to Stanway at 7 in the morning (which meant a 4.45am start from Bath) and stayed around all day, to see TeamBath win Vets, Senior Women and Senior Men categories (the latter by a minute from Stroud).

I have now run all sections of the CW, and would point you to the race website for details of the various legs etc.

As for a solo run.... I've supported various attempts over the years. Completed attempts that I knew off a couple of years back are here..

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...wold-Way-Relay

and since then there has been a new reduction in the time to 21hrs 43

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/cotsw...&ArticleId=172

I also run with a bunch of off-road runners who all know the area, one of whom has run it all, and there may well be someone in the group who would be interested in an attempt, or we might just come and have a run with you - you can get in touch with me at andymullettathotmaildotcom, let us know what you are planning
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"

Re timekeepers... looks like the National Trail people are hot on this.. but not really in the spirit of the thing... if you had a digital photo with the time stamp set of you at CC, at various points en route, and then at the Abbey in Bath, no-one could really argue!
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"