Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beamsley Beacon Fell Race

Fellhound

Beamsley Beacon Wed 25th June

I'm planning to do this one on Wednesday. Is the route similar to your Owl event Grifty, or is it an even more fiendish collection of painfully runnable paths?

Re: Beamsley Beacon Wed 25th J

The route up is flagged, the route down is your choice so long as it is on recognised paths, the secret way down the TRENCH is completely overgrown at the moment, I hope the Wharfedale team will clear it tonight on their Tuesday run. It's a nice little run for me straight out the front door.

That bloody overgrown 'trench' proved to be my downfall, literally! I ran over from Ilkley to recce what I think is the route of this race last Tuesday, as I was really keen to do this as my first short fell race. As I was coming down the trench I was concentrating more on swatting foliage out of my face than my footing, as a result I went over on my ankle and collapsed in a load of nettles! Cue a painful hobble home.

Is there actually any real choice in the route down? I guess there's a few lines from the top of the Beacon to the road, but after that I thought the only way was the trench. Have I missed something? (not that it matters now - it'll be weeks before I'm back running on the hills)

oh thats awful trim trab - i hate that trench - i've done this race 3 times (including) owl event and got lost every time - so i hope i dont follow someone down the trench by accident. could you see your way to standing at the entrance to the trench and divert people away from it please?

Unhappy Re: Beamsley Beacon Wed 25th J

What's all this trench business?! You're putting me off! Can't we just go back same way we got up?

Once you reach the top you can descend any way you want.
    Some people just follow the same way back and others who try the gully route go wrong and end up minutes down.
    My recommedation is if in doubt follow the flags back.

Fellhound

I'm intrigued now... on the owl event we followed the trench route up and down. Can't imagine where the flagged route goes but I dare say it will become clear en-route. I will ponder on the best way down when I'm on my way up - it will take my mind off the pain!

Does it start and finish at the Crown Inn??

the swan inn - i believe

It does start at the Crown, register at Mem Hall car Park,and you can come down by any route that is on public footpaths, in the trench watch your head and your feetgood eh, cracking race Grommit, if in doubt follow Skyrac, I've told them the best way down. Any good runners over 60 please don't turn up.

You poor bugger Trimm Trab. I did this last year and smashed into the boulders coming off the top. Then I found myself running round a field like a lost hound and eventually got back a quarter of an hour after the second to last finisher. Then I stood outside the Crown shivering and dripping blood onto the pavement cause my car keys had gone back up the hill.

Look out for a fat old past it looking guy with a determined look on his face. As I said last year I'll be back!
    I'm gonna get you Beamsley Beacon!
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"