Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Turnslack Fell race

Dont forget Turnslack is tomorrow, great race organised by legend Kev Shand.

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=4517

They are a couple of marshalls short so please pm me if you can help.

Dan

Again another great race held today. Really enjoy this one, it throws a lot at you in the 8 miles.
    Well done and I'll be back next year!

You wanted the best you got the best, the hottest band in the world.....TURNSLACK.

When I first saw Turnslack in the fell calendar my initial thoughts were not of the race but of how good a name Turnslack would be for a rock band. One of the first things I bought when I started work 30yrs ago was a guitar with lessons. Being young and naive I thought that after a few lessons I'd be playing like Jimi Hendrix.....I soon realised this wasn't going to happen, to be blunt, I was shit. Disillusioned with my lack of guitar skills I gave it up and sold the guitar. Really wish I'd stuck at it, oh well some things aren't to be and Turnslack will stay deeply rooted within my mind of nonsense.

Turnslack the fell race does exist and unlike my imaginary band....it rocks. There's something special about races like this, it feels steeped in fell running tradition and this is highlighted with countless pictures from past races out on display. Keeping with fell tradition it's £4 to enter....bargain. The registration is the local church with cakes and brews provided by the local congregation....lovely. The course is a cracker with something to please everyone of a fell persuasion. I can imagine local runners being slightly disappointed with just how well the route was marked out, no local knowledge advantage taken today.

After the last climb we soon encounter a truly amazing descent through 6ft high ferns. Weaving this way and that along the just visible path was memorable....love quirky sections like this during a race. At one point I couldn't see the runner in front but could make out the swishing of the ferns as he moved through them.

Typical of race organiser Kev the prize giving was brilliant and made all the more special with it being held in the church. If you're fortunate enough to win a prize you're in for a treat. It's an Aladdin's cave of household 'essentials' ranging from tins of beans (Heinz no less) to Solar garden lights: which my club mate Lynne won. On a previous race held by Kev, I once won some toilet rolls, very handy. Today I picked up a tape measure.....I should've gone back to the ferns and found out their true height...yes, I really am that sad.

Thanks to Kev and all the helpers.

Keep your eyes open, I live in hope that one day coming to a pub in your town.....TURNSLACK featuring fast fret Fishwick.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Something like that anyway.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Almost, but the route goes all the way down to the bottom of ramsden clough res and then along.

Cant wait for this race. I borrowed sections of the route when I put together the tod Graham round. Wish it wasnt flagged though as I know all the best lines up ramsden hill and noon hill (there is actually 1 decent line up there) now and I dont think they get used in the race 😥

Great race though, one of my favourites.

I think if it wasn't flagged it would be a nightmare for people hopping over walls and climbing fences. Only 186 entered for this, and the great and good haven't bothered with it either so I might reel some points in.

I can't get over Kev's toilets, he's a top guy for being willing to take other people's jobbers home with him though.

Tough course, there's something for everyone though. Managed to find a spring on the penultimate climb and fill my bottle, it was nice to get hydrated and wash a gel down. That last climb was horrible, never seen tussocks like it, balls deep grass. Thanks to Steve smithies for sending me the right way!

Not sure where you were coming from with the Catholic/AchRat comment on the start line?

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I think if it wasn't flagged it would be a nightmare for people hopping over walls and climbing fences. Only 186 entered for this, and the great and good haven't bothered with it either so I might reel some points in.
    yeah true. i think it would be good to have it flagged with a couple of nav sections through in. but that's just because i desperately wanted to use my much easier line up to the turbines.

i struggled on sat. set off too fast as usual i think. found that long gradual run up to the trig point pretty tough even though its not even a steep one, but it just felt like such a drag. managed to just about hold it together until the final climb where i fell apart a bit. managed to switch to survival mode and pick it up again for the final run in and fortunately only passed by one person at that point but lost about 4 minutes on the people i'd been racing against most of the way round so that was a bit frustrating. guess it might just take a bit of practice to get back into the swing of racing again.

I've been looking through various results from the weekend, and it's been great to see so many forum names...

Ponte Ricky
    Mr Brightside
    AnthonyKay
    SimoCaps
    Llani Boy
    CRoberts
    Tindersticks
    FellUpFellDown
    TrevorM

and no doubt a couple of others i can't remember or haven't spotted.