Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Turnslack Fell race

One of my favourite races. I've been in a constant cycle of re-inury this whole year though so giving racing a miss for now 😢

Did the route last week, racing this Sat, wadding through the bracken near the end should be fun.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    Did the route last week, racing this Sat, wadding through the bracken near the end should be fun.
    I've just had a look at the weather forecast for Littleborough; it looks like traditional fell-running weather, so we will have that lovely sensation of being slapped by wet bracken as we wade through.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    For the first time in the 21st century, I have run a race which I had previously run in the 20th century. And I am fairly sure that the Walshes that I wore at yesterday’s Turnslack fell race were the same shoes that I wore at the race in 1995.

The race was very much an old-timers’ convention. This starts with the RO: I believe Kevan Shand has been organising this race since 1978, which must surely make him the longest serving RO in the sport. Then there were the runners: I was 9th M60 (with 5-year age categories); there were eight M60's ahead of me, but also only eight MSEN’s ahead of me. That’s as many in the 60-64 age bracket as in the 24-39 age bracket.

The Taylors of Rossendale were there, with Ken winning M70 and Thornton winning M65 (both well ahead of me). A few seconds behind Thornton Taylor was the second M65, a man who was winning something more important back in 1995 when I previously ran this race. On that occasion, as I got off the train at Littleborough, a microphone was thrust towards me by a reporter, asking how I was going to vote. The Littleborough and Saddleworth by-election was the following Thursday, and the winner of that was Chris Davies, Liberal Democrat and fell runner.

On a more personal note, today I was recognised and greeted by another old-timer in the church which serves as the race HQ: Colin Valentine, who then asked me if I had come down from Scotland. I haven’t lived in Scotland since 1987, and we presumably haven’t crossed paths since before then. I first met Colin in 1979 when we were both running the Crag Fell Race, which was the junior (under-21) race that used to be run in conjunction with the Ennerdale Horseshoe.

My time in 1995, when I finished 20th, was faster than the winner’s time today. Kev Shand said that the only changes to the course since then are that the tussocks are bigger and the bracken is taller (he had been out the previous day, hacking a path through the bracken on the final descent). The competition was stronger (and younger!) back in the 20th century.

This year I got round in 62nd place (out of 87 starters). It was the longest race I have run this year, and I did fade over the last few miles, despite eating fudge at the start of the first of the two steep climbs on the second half of the race. I have also ascertained that I am even worse at tussock-running than downhill running. I can at least do some descending in the Charnwood hills near my home, but there is nothing around here to compare with Pennine tussocks.

So, to conclude: a traditional fell race held in traditional fell running weather (although actually the rain was nothing more than drizzle, and the clag was rather thin).
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    For the first time in the 21st century, I have run a race which I had previously run in the 20th century. And I am fairly sure that the Walshes that I wore at yesterday’s Turnslack fell race were the same shoes that I wore at the race in 1995.

The race was very much an old-timers’ convention. This starts with the RO: I believe Kevan Shand has been organising this race since 1978, which must surely make him the longest serving RO in the sport. Then there were the runners: I was 9th M60 (with 5-year age categories); there were eight M60's ahead of me, but also only eight MSEN’s ahead of me. That’s as many in the 60-64 age bracket as in the 24-39 age bracket.

The Taylors of Rossendale were there, with Ken winning M70 and Thornton winning M65 (both well ahead of me). A few seconds behind Thornton Taylor was the second M65, a man who was winning something more important back in 1995 when I previously ran this race. On that occasion, as I got off the train at Littleborough, a microphone was thrust towards me by a reporter, asking how I was going to vote. The Littleborough and Saddleworth by-election was the following Thursday, and the winner of that was Chris Davies, Liberal Democrat and fell runner.

On a more personal note, today I was recognised and greeted by another old-timer in the church which serves as the race HQ: Colin Valentine, who then asked me if I had come down from Scotland. I haven’t lived in Scotland since 1987, and we presumably haven’t crossed paths since before then. I first met Colin in 1979 when we were both running the Crag Fell Race, which was the junior (under-21) race that used to be run in conjunction with the Ennerdale Horseshoe.

My time in 1995, when I finished 20th, was faster than the winner’s time today. Kev Shand said that the only changes to the course since then are that the tussocks are bigger and the bracken is taller (he had been out the previous day, hacking a path through the bracken on the final descent). The competition was stronger (and younger!) back in the 20th century.

This year I got round in 62nd place (out of 87 starters). It was the longest race I have run this year, and I did fade over the last few miles, despite eating fudge at the start of the first of the two steep climbs on the second half of the race. I have also ascertained that I am even worse at tussock-running than downhill running. I can at least do some descending in the Charnwood hills near my home, but there is nothing around here to compare with Pennine tussocks.

So, to conclude: a traditional fell race held in traditional fell running weather (although actually the rain was nothing more than drizzle, and the clag was rather thin).
    I ran yesterday as well,last time I did the race there were no windmills,not sure of the year but probably 1990's. Not sure were I finished, had to come away before all the results were out,but happy to get round as its the longest race post-cancer for me. Great event though and a good turnout for this grind of a fell race.

The tussocks are pretty grim, especially going to noon hill. I know a really good line up through that gully that pretty much avoids most of the tussocks but doesnt feel right using it on a flagged race. Either kev doesnt know about it or he's just sadistic 😆

Sad to have missed the race yesterday as it's one of the best!

Master
    It was nice to see and run through some real mud in these drought-stricken times. It's been many months since I have run through mud in Leicestershire, so I'm glad that it still survives on the South Pennine moors.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Kevan Shand has just announced on Facebook that this is the last year he will be organising the Turnslack race. His record of organising a race for 45 years must surely be unrivalled in the fell running world; and as a competitive runner in his younger days, Kev was up at the sharp end.

Turnslack must have a claim to be the toughest category BM race in the calendar. In the unlikely event that I'm not injured at the time, I will be there this year.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Kevan Shand has just announced on Facebook that this is the last year he will be organising the Turnslack race. His record of organising a race for 45 years must surely be unrivalled in the fell running world; and as a competitive runner in his younger days, Kev was up at the sharp end.

Turnslack must have a claim to be the toughest category BM race in the calendar. In the unlikely event that I'm not injured at the time, I will be there this year.
    Turnslack should be an English Champs race.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent