Thread: Ligament damage?

Ligament damage?

After a longish but slow hill run, the next day I found I had a burning sensation on the inside back of my left knee. I have subsequently been able to run but the next day the back of the knee has been sore. I've never had a problem with ligaments in the knee in this way, but this is what it feels like. Running in itself doesn't hurt it, but its worse afterwards. I can make it hurt by twisting my foot inwards and putting pressure on it sitting inmy chair. Firstly can anyone confirm my diagnosis based on what I have said! Secondly, will I need to lay off running for a few weeks? Thanks.

Re: Ligament damage?

Well... can't really confirm any diagnosis over the internet- the body has a marvellous way of screwing different people up in so many different ways. It you want a proper diagnosis, go and see someone who knows what they are talking about, pay them money, listen and do what they suggest.
    (you could go for the "fellrunners alternative" which is ignore it til you can't walk, go see someone, listen, ignore them, repeat).

HOwever, for my tuppence worth I wouldnt imagine you have done any ligament damage unless you wrenched your knee, it is more likely (but by no means definite) that you have done something to a tendon (or, more accurately, the musculotendinous junction- maybe to the popliteus)
    Then again, you might not have and it could be something completely different.

You can't really go wrong with rest and ice, and taking a couple of weeks of running is more likely to help it heal faster, rather than going out and battering it doing the same thing that made it hurt in the first place.
    Don't let my suggestions stop you though. Its your body, listen to it.

Re: Ligament damage?

Yes, thats good advice. Thanks.