Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultra running & 'The Fear'

Re: Ultra running & 'The Fear'

Ditto what everyone else has said really - time on your feet and positive mental attitude got me round the high peak marathon (40ish miles), whereas my longest training run was probably only 20-25 in one go (and that was with a hungover team mate!). Just keep smiling - if you think you can do it, you can. Also think of the massive bragging rights it earns you! (generally a big incentive for me! ) Good luck and enjoy it!
    But in the end, journeys brought joys that outweighed the pain - F.T.

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    i agree. I don't think I have ever run the ultra distances in training- infact with work, family etc..... my last run/race is often my last training! Have done Fellsman twice plus Long Mynd and RRR50 but only on those days. I have a wierd 'injury' issue that often means if the start is fierce and fast I have to walk after 20 mins. PMA does work- i used to get very stressed my being passed by so many so soon after the start but now I just have accepted that all will be well in the long run and there will be hours to make up the lost time. Some good mantras have helped too: 1. Enjoy it or why bother 2. Man up ! 3. don't give up mum, it's just one foot in front of the other!
    One of the things that I really like about the ultras is the great long day out and cameraderie. I love meeting up with friends from these every so often. A good time is nice (as in beating last years) but getting round and enjoying the day matter just as much.
    Same as Karen says, but with a slightly different mantra: Woman up! Karen, my regular running partner Mrs. Crumblydown, recent BG completer Ashtroller, Mrs. Stagger and many more, are as hard as nails, just keep going and going regardless, keep smiling and can talk for England:wink:
    Fear of the unknown is a natural reaction but just get on the start line, have a go and see how far you get. Completion brings confidence and you'll be surprised what you once thought was impossible soon becomes a reality.
    Hills and Guinness!

just break it into chunks and run within yourself - that's the hardest part. it seems strange to run slowly across a stretch of ground you know you would normally cover at a much faster pace.

in my first ultra (high peak 40) i ran the first 6 miles in 1 hour and at such a pace that i felt like i'd done nothing at all. coupled with a refuelling stop, i pretty much reset myself back to zero at CP1 after which it was only a 34 mile race, and so on to the next CP, so on and so forth.

also - walk the hills and run the flats! define your goal before you start - just looking to finish or aiming for a particular time? i'd suggest just finishing your first ultra will be enough of an achievement. you'll then have a benchmark for next time round because i guarantee you'll be hooked!!

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Mrs. Stagger and many more, are as hard as nails, just keep going and going regardless, keep smiling and can talk for England:wink:
    I can vouch for that, drag her though a swamp and she will keep going without complaining, despite telling you there was a far better way. Her route choice is far better than mine.

Although a newbie to ultra long distance events, I know that to run a marathon you only need to run in training 11 miles, you can run 2.5 times the distance in an event that you train for. Your brain self protects your body from over exerting itself, in times of stress it will allow it to “pull something out the bag” the mind will normally fail before the body does.

If you can, read “survival of the fittest” by Mike Stroud. It gives you the information on how the body copes with an ultra distance challenge. Mike has done many studies for the British Army as well as arctic challenges.

ATB

Tahr

Assuming you're not trying to win, take the opportunities to fall in and out of step with people of similar pace. A bit of chat can really break the distance up. Hold yourself back early on, you probably won't have much choice later. I'm hardly a veteran, but found it mostly just a question of carrying on, and not thinking too hard