Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Age limits

Re: Distance limits

Quote Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
    I am only learning the ropes, rules, and conventions, gradually off the many eminent posts from all of you that have gone before on this thread, including use of liberal pinches of salt in reading and translating some of them.
    You might find the documents on this page more informative than some of the posts on this thread.
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

I think we are familiar with them Grumpy.

Perhaps as you are so expert you can guide OB1 to the part of said literature which deals with the age groups and how they are defined because I can't find it?

Note the opening 9 words of Rule 10, the rule that must be obeyed.
    Race organisers must stipulate age limits for their events
    and then have a look at the calendar and the entry information available to see how few actually follow this advise with any meaningful accuracy.
    If an RO only stipulates the age ie U14 or Age 12, what does that mean?

If the limited info such as Age 12 is used, then would it be right to assume that it is on the day

If the limited info such as "Juniors U10/U12/U14.... what then?

Guide us to the part where this is explained.

It is usually one of the above methods used in the race information and both are unsatisfactory.

Master

[Crushed dreams and custard creams]

RULE TEN
    Race organisers must stipulate age limits for their events but the following maximum distance limits for

juniors must be observed.

Simples, oh so simples, yes, even to plebs like WEKTRAC, yet so incomprehensibly defined, and therefore not surprisingly so inconsistently followed with any meaningful accuracy.

STOP PRESS!

Padme and Schmi are bunny-hopping mad that they won’t be running with Luke this Easter, and have kindly donated their copies of the shiny new Calendar to their nearest Senior fell running club (whose unconventional members don’t believe in standing orders). They have brand new bikes for Christmas and are off to try triathlon.

Leia has hidden her partially marked-up copy of the Calendar at the back of the Kenobi trophy cabinet and is out-on-the-street with her football.

Uncle B has gone fishing again with grumpy Humpty-Numpty.

TFK has gone back to work with a Hogmanay fare, dropping Auntie Lisa back at Ringway Airport.

Luke, soon a Senior, is left dreaming of Rivington and his last English Junior Championships.

Will WEKTRAC get back together in time for the Witton Park Junior Trail Relays?

For up-to-date information, watch this space

Oh, and OB1’s gone off to destroy some Parkruns.
    Happy New Year! Here’s looking forward to a great 2013 season.
    Things may be quiet around here without a ghost-writer.

All characters and events in the WEKTRAC Christmas pantomime show – even those based on real people – are entirely fictional. All conventional and unconventional fell running opinions are impersonated – poorly.
    Last edited by OB1; 29-12-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: am-removed 'Pike' off Rivington! pm-inserted 'meaningful accuracy'
    Powered by Ugali.

A different but related question.

Rule 10 also states 6 years as the lower age limit for races. Why are some FRA race organisers allowing children under 6 to enter junior races?

This must be happening, because I was berated by a parent at the Wansfell Junior Races the other day for not allowing her 4-year old daughter to enter, when apparently her daughter has run many fell races this year already. I don't want to fall out with parents, but I'm not prepared to break the age limit rule and I'm shocked that other race organisers are doing so. When I started organising races I was told very clearly this rule is very important and that breaking it would break the race insurance.
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post

Rule 10 also states 6 years as the lower age limit for races. Why are some FRA race organisers allowing children under 6 to enter junior races?

This must be happening, because I was berated by a parent at the Wansfell Junior Races the other day for not allowing her 4-year old daughter to enter, when apparently her daughter has run many fell races this year already. I don't want to fall out with parents, but I'm not prepared to break the age limit rule and I'm shocked that other race organisers are doing so. When I started organising races I was told very clearly this rule is very important and that breaking it would break the race insurance.
    Eleanor

You are correct.

If you as the RO knowingly allow a 4 year old to run in a FRA Registered race you will put your future as a RO in jeopardy.

Being a nice person you will not believe what parents, coaches, passers-by, the runners themselves,...will say or do to enable juniors to breach the rules (and not all RO are whiter than white). Unfortunately from my previous role, I do.

Regards,

Graham
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post

It happens in all disciplines Eleanor and I would say that the ROs are not usually culpable as it is often false info on entry slips by parents or connections.

We had a track meeting last year at Witton and a coach from a club was asked if a particular girl was old enough to run in a the U13 Girls 200 and he said yes. I found out a few days later that she was only 9 and so clearly not old enough.
    That same coach ran a U15 Girl in a U17 Womens team recently as they were 1 short. Again, not allowed and he knows it.

It's ironic really how our Governing bodies can lack consistency.

UKA Rules for Road have maximum distances so if a club puts on a permitted 5K road race the athletes have to be 14.

If that same club organises a 5K Park Run, still permitted through UKA/EA, U13s can run as there is no age limit.

Master

[Shereddies. Did you know that ‘there are 4 layers of satisfaction in every shreddie’? That is one layer for each point on the compass, so whichever direction that you are heading today you should always get a little bit of satisfaction. Festive Disorientation to one and all!]

Under pressure from TFK I have reluctantly :angry: agreed to post the following message on behalf of WEKTRAC, whilst TFK and Leia wait for an account to be approved by Brett.

Hello, my name is Leia. I am 9 years old and I will be 10 on 1st Feb 2013. I am writing to you all because I would like you to fix it for me to run the Bunny Run Relay this coming Easter 2013, along with my 11 year old twin sisters Padme and Schmi (12 in July).

My cousin Luke tells me that the event is run over 1.5 miles with a climb of 200 feet. I have checked and this information is also shown on the organiser’s website page.

However my copy of the 2013 FRA Calendar shows it as 3.2 km / 60m, which I think we would need to be 12 to run. But 12 when? Now, New Year, on day?

With the help of Mumpsy-moo and my maths book I have worked out that:

1. 1.5 miles can be rounded up to 2 miles. Then 2 miles x 1.6 = 3.2 km. This is >3 km
    2. 1.5 miles x 1.6 = 2.4 km. This is < 3 km

I don’t know which of these two calculations if any is being followed by the FRA for this event?
    Mumpsy asked Dad but he said he has taken leave from considering such things.
    My Uncle B has gone fishing, and anyway he often gets things mixed up in his mind.

I have also worked out that if the age criteria for qualification is based on any time before 31st Jan 2013 then I probably will be able to run. Otherwise I will not but my sisters might. My sisters ran this race with Luke this year (2012) when my sisters were 10 and Mumpsy is worried looking at the 2012 Calendar that they may have broken the rules then. Their cousin Luke also ran it when he was 10 a few years ago, although like I am now he was 9 on 1st Jan in the year that he ran it. He says his dad checked the rules and they were OK when he ran.

Please please can you fix it for me?

Dad is taking me to watch some of his friends run around in circles in Tintwhistle, but I will ask him to check your answers on our return.

Yes, yes, OK I will check for her on our return:angry:
    Last edited by OB1; 30-12-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: yes I'll log in for her on return