Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Callow

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Callow fell race done and dusted this morning. Quite enjoyed using the app and had no problems other user error. (Managed to upload it twice somehow!) Anyway, It was lovely morning for a run and I even got a little bit of competition as I spied a chap on the skyline of Yearlet as I began the climb and then caught him on the ascent of Grindle - I think he had a bit of nav error to be fair.
    I was 10 minutes slower than last year's race which I attribute to 3 factors:
    1. I haven't been putting the miles/hills into my running this year. Lockdown, no races and been cycling a lot instead.
    2. I think the lack of other competitors meant I didn't go as hard at the climbs and I also held back on the descents as the without marshals and other runners around a hard fall could be quite serious.
    3. I met about 20-30 ramblers between the stile and footbridge before I'd even got Ashlet. Robo-rambler at the rear instructed me to "back-off and stay 2 meters away!" Were she not blocking my path I could have quite easily got round them all without any social distancing issues but she wasn't having any of it. Anyway, how is alright for 20 + of them to be all congregating together???

Anyway, on balance an enjoyable morning out and I'm looking forward to my next MapRun race - Buttermere Sailbeck.

Well done Pete... such a tough route, and if you're not 100% on it, you can just leak minutes on every part of the route...

You showed far more patience with that group than i'd have managed...

yes: nice one Pete: you're quickest so far!
    (out of three )
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Thanks guys. I doubt I will remain quickest for long! Just found the route gadget on the app. My line to CP3 was way too high but couldn't remember exactly where to hit the path and thought it best to drop in rather than miss it and have to climb back up. That cost me a minute or so.

Entries for this excellent race open tonight at 6pm on sientries.co.uk

Limited to 80 runners so don't hang about.

p.s race is on sunday 19th December.

Intriguing - Callow in winter? A tough little race usually made even harder by the heat of summer.
    Just entered.

Replace the heat of summer with the slippery conditions of winter. Some of those steep climbs could be a nightmare if they're very greasy... Should be interesting!

A fantastic day at Callow today... driving over it was distinctly foggy and glum, but absolutely lovely at Little Stretton. Despite temperature barely above zero, it was certainly vest weather with the sun and lack of wind.

I know this route by heart now, so it's a case of getting head down and working hard. Although didn't stop me from taking a very dubious route up the final climb and dropping a load of time!

15th in 1hr16.... didn't quite have the usual zip up the climbs today... although having not raced on the fells since Peris in September, that is perhaps not entirely surprising... didn't race badly, just would have liked to have been much closer to a few names in front of me...

Started fairly confidently, and reached the first summit in 4th place without pushing too hard... basically power-walking all the way. I knew there's no chance of holding that kind of position and was in a more realistic 11th or 12th by midway... but as mentioned it just didn't happen on the climbs and i was powerless when the likes of Mel Price, Andy Davies, Virgil, and Athers of this parish came past.

Hello to PeteS, good to chat briefly, and for someone "just trying to get fit" that was an excellent result. And also to Athers... i was 20secs in front of you at top of Yearlet, and reached the bottom of the next climb 20secs behind you!! I assume you descended Yearlet straight down the nose...?

I heard from another runner that this race may be held in November next year.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    A fantastic day at Callow today... driving over it was distinctly foggy and glum, but absolutely lovely at Little Stretton. Despite temperature barely above zero, it was certainly vest weather with the sun and lack of wind.

I know this route by heart now, so it's a case of getting head down and working hard. Although didn't stop me from taking a very dubious route up the final climb and dropping a load of time!

15th in 1hr16.... didn't quite have the usual zip up the climbs today... although having not raced on the fells since Peris in September, that is perhaps not entirely surprising... didn't race badly, just would have liked to have been much closer to a few names in front of me...

Started fairly confidently, and reached the first summit in 4th place without pushing too hard... basically power-walking all the way. I knew there's no chance of holding that kind of position and was in a more realistic 11th or 12th by midway... but as mentioned it just didn't happen on the climbs and i was powerless when the likes of Mel Price, Andy Davies, Virgil, and Athers of this parish came past.

Hello to PeteS, good to chat briefly, and for someone "just trying to get fit" that was an excellent result. And also to Athers... i was 20secs in front of you at top of Yearlet, and reached the bottom of the next climb 20secs behind you!! I assume you descended Yearlet straight down the nose...?

I heard from another runner that this race may be held in November next year.

Pete
    Nice one, Pete. Very impressive run. Good to have a brief chat to you again.

I know the route well now and driving over through Wyre Forrest and Shropshire, I thought we were going to be in for thick fog which would have made things interesting for the uninitiated. Conditions were nearly perfect though and I was glad of the sun at the start.
    Gloves and buff were soon off after the first climb and by Yearlet, I was then struggling with the heat. This year has all been about resolving long standing injuries and trying to get back to some kind of fell training next year so the plan was to get around without breaking anything and in that respect, I think mission accomplished (assuming I can get down the stairs in the morning!)
    Pleased with 43rd place in 1.34 - good 10 minutes or so off my best but progress in the right direction.
    Last edited by PeteS; 20-12-2021 at 01:53 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I see the results are up: https://mercia.giz.me.uk/node/3336

Worst case of DOMS ever this morning but thankfully nothing else broken. Onwards and upwards!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast