Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Callow

Re: Callow

Just got back from this, OMG! What a great race though. Loads of very big hills and was 'temporarily misplaced' on the last hill, resulting in a few lost places! This is allegedly THE toughest race of its length in the area. Had a great time and will consider it next year.

Callow - Pictures

Pictures from today's race are beginning to appear on my site....

www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk

Pictures of the presentation to follow...

Al.

Callow... Pictures

Pictures from today's race are here....

http://www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk/callow2010.html

Al.
    AlTye

The dyslexic, diabetic, photographer.

http://www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk/

Callow

Thanks to the organisers for putting on an awesome race and to the lonely summit marshalls who stood on Ashes, Yearlet, Grindle and Callow on their own. photos on Alistair Tye's website. Brum

First time i've done this race and i loved it. Very tough and i have been aching for the past two days, i think all 4 climbs were equally tough with interesting descents and a few short bits of lovely runnable terrain. Will definately do it again next year and may even give it a go before then as a training run.
    Thanks to organisers and marshalls

Many thanks to Mercia for a cracking, sunny and (thankfully) breezy race today. My first go at Callow, although I recognised that climb up Callow from the Long Mynd Valleys, and I think it's fair to say that it's as tough a five miler as you can find. Four climbs, four steep descents, barely any flat bits. Perfect.
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 30-06-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Looking forward to this tomorrow. Heard all about the reputation of it being a very hard race, and I'm sure the heat will add to that.

Really is a fantastic area for racing.

Anyone who's raced this weekend doesn't need me to state that it was very tough in the heat...
    On the final climb could feel the heat coming off the Fell-side.

Another fine Shropshire short race, probably the toughest of the short races I've done anywhere. Apart from a couple of short sections, it's pretty much 4 very steep climbs and 4 descents, one of which is the reverse of the final climb on the Long Mynd Valleys, and everyone knows how steep that is...!

I've hit top 10 in the last couple of Shropshire races, but I did think that today was a step too far to achieve that again, and so it proved. Settled into a little group from around 11th-17th, although we split often, with various group members being stronger on the climbs (myself), or stronger on the descents (everyone else). Eventually though, the sheer amount of steep climbing started to take its toll on the crack descenders, and the group split into 2. I was now 13th and hared after 11th & 12th up the final climb, and had reeled them in by the top, but had nothing in the tank to get in front of them over the top and down to the finish, so had to settle for 13th. Which I'd have taken before the start.

If I have a slight disappointment, it's that I was a long way off the front runners (15 minutes behind the winner), whereas at Mynd Dragon, with similar stats, I was in touch most of the way round. But stats don't tell everything and this was a step up on the Richter scale. But overall, having not done this race before, and the pounding heat, I'm happy with the day's effort.

Fantastic organisation and marshalling, credit to all people who dragged themselves/water/sweets/drums up onto the fells. Superb.

Pete

Callow is an awesome race. One of my favourite. Managed to slip under the magic 1 hour last year with 59min 59sec!!! Still, i'll take that because it is a proper brute. Not sure the heat would have allowed that same result yesterday.

I ended up doing the middletown hill fell race (welsh champs) on the saturday instead and found that was equally as hard as callow. 3.5 mile with 1900ft of climb. Ouch. Managed to secure 3rd spot but almost felt like collapsing at the finish with the sun baking down.

You should come and have a go at the Wednesday evening summer series races if you enjoy the Shropshire hills. Although if you are disappointed with your position at callow to even get into the top 25 in the evening races is having a good run. Its very, very competitive.
    "You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back"

Athers i would love to get to some of the Summer Series races, and somebody said exactly the same thing to me yesterday outside the Ragleth Inn, about getting over for a couple of races. Unfortunately i work in Central Birmingham so usually commute by train, certainly for the remainder of this summer anyway. perhaps next year.

I'll be doing the Winter Series again and hoping to improve a couple of places after 20th last winter.

Yes looking at my predicted time, and what i ended up with, i felt that the heat cost around 5 minutes yesterday. But a friend who raced was 12 mins slower than last year, and could find no reason apart from the heat. Although looking at results, apart from an exception last year, my 1hr14 usually seems to equate to around 12th-14th place, so maybe it didn't have as much an effect as i thought. I do think i can get under 1hr10 just by knowing the course now, and knowing how long the climbs are and where to push.

As you say, a fantastic race. Can only dream of getting under 1hr... i could feasibly see a possibility of getting towards 1hr05 with an improvement in fitness and descending, but an hour and below is beyond belief!

Well done at Middletown, wasn't that a Welsh Champs race?