Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Callow

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Thinking about doing this one in a couple of weeks. Anyone got a link to a map of the route.
    Is there a car park?

It's good, and hard!

Parking in Little Stretton. I don't think there's a dedicated car park, but parking on road around by the Ragleth pub. Get there a bit early and there should be space.
    I'll dig out a map later.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Cheers Dave. I've heard it's tough one but sounds right up my street.

map attached. If the quality is a bit pants (forum only allows 97k files!), PM me and I'll send a better version.

Basic route: from the campsite up Ashes Hollow to the bottom of Ashlet and turn right by "Ashes": follow the fence then climb to the top (marshal). Contour right to meet the path down to Townbrook Res. Go left up the brook until the stream on the left and climb the vague trod to the top of Yearlet (marshal). There's route choice here and good and bad lines.

Drop left off Yearlet. Again a choice to go straight down or to follow the nose. There's not much in either, one is steeper than the other. Cross Ashes (usually people here) and go straight on up the side of Grindle, to the north of the stream shown on OS map. This is the "Stairway to Heaven". There will probably be someone "encouraging" you near the top.

Go straight on across the heather, crossing the main path at the Two Trees and drop down into Callow Hollow via Dog Board Shin (marshal at the top of the descent). Follow the stream left and down to the marshal at the foot of the climb up Callow. This climb really does go on forever.

At the top of Callow (marshal) follow the trod through the heather and descend quickly to the main path up the valley, following it down to the finish line at the gate. 8km and 770m of climbing. It takes me about 1:15. Mens course record is 51:10!

callow1.jpg
    ....it's all downhill from here.

If I remember rightly from last year, it’s flagged as well (at least across the heathery tops).

Thanks both - sounds good and I'm still planning on giving this a bash on Sunday. 51 minutes is a very impressive time considering there is vey little flat running. I have no idea what kind of time I would be aiming for but 1:15 sounds a good target to aim at but that depends on what shape my legs are in after a party night out in Travs' neck of the woods tomorrow!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Oh dear... you’ll be lucky to make it to Sunday then!!!

For the record, I managed 1:14 last year, but it was a first attempt at the race and I didn’t know entirely what to expect (except for knowing that it had a fearsome reputation). It was also incredibly hot last year and can’t have been far off 30deg, I remember feeling the heat reflecting off the Fell like an oven.

Was hoping to shave 5 minutes off just on the basis of it hopefully being a bit cooler, but apparently it could be another warm one!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Oh dear... you’ll be lucky to make it to Sunday then!!!

For the record, I managed 1:14 last year, but it was a first attempt at the race and I didn’t know entirely what to expect (except for knowing that it had a fearsome reputation). It was also incredibly hot last year and can’t have been far off 30deg, I remember feeling the heat reflecting off the Fell like an oven.

Was hoping to shave 5 minutes off just on the basis of it hopefully being a bit cooler, but apparently it could be another warm one!
    On that basis I will revise my target to anything under 2 hours!

Well, I managed under 2 hours. 1.25 to be exact which given the hot, humid and dry underfoot conditions, I was quite pleased with. This is a beast of a race, 500m or so across a flat field and then it is steep climb followed by steep descent fourfold - 8km with 850m ascent. Relentless.

Only 42 started what is a great little race which certainly deserves to be more popular. Well organised with some lovely marshals - hats off to the guys on Grindle with the drum, wine gums and water. Much appreciated.

Nice to see Travs again - hope to catch up with you again later in the year at the LDMT.

Yes great to see you again PeteS, glad you enjoyed the race.

Not my best ever performance. To be quite honest, I found it a struggle... 4th short sharp race in 9 days, and I could tell in the warmup that it may well be a struggle. Certainly didn’t run badly, I just didn’t have my usual zip going uphill, where I’d usually be pushing the pace. For example, on the final climb, I could see people all the way up to about 8th-10th, ad usually I’d go flying up looking to catch as many as possible, but it just wasn’t there...

Although strangely I was fairly satisfied with my descending, although took a rather dubious line off the 2nd top and ended on awful ground.

15th in the end, 1hr18, so 4 minutes slower than last year in what were easier conditions. But another great race, well organised and marshalled.

Surely as tough as any short race out there...