Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Callow

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Here we go then...

Looks like it might be a decent morning for it... although i suspect the damage has already been done with regards to the underfoot conditions.
    Good to catch-up with you, Pete. Hope your race went well - there was a red vest high on Yearlet as I was coming up Town Brook so presumably so!

Well, my aim for today was to beat last year's time (which I admittedly took rather easily) and to not increase my physio bill in doing so.
    Target achieved - hill training is only just starting to get back to somewhere near where I was a few years ago but everything held up and I made it to the finish virtually unscathed.
    1:25 - 9 minutes off last year but still a way off my PB although that was for the race when it was in the summer.
    Positives for the day were that Strava tells me I broke my record for all 4 climbs. I was feeling good but really didn't go at any of them full gas so training is definitely working and still felt reasonably fresh for the descent off Callow.
    Negatives. Mainly my descending which to be fair was partly down to the conditions as it was as slippy as hell in places but mainly down to a lack of confidence still from my fall. It's getting better certainly but not where I'd like it to be. I also managed to make a mess of the run down Callow Hollow. Missed the path junction early on and ended up on a higher trod with a load of gorse preventing me making amends. Probably cost me a minute or two but no great harm done.

Llani I meant to say hello but somehow missed you although I believe you may have met my wife at the finish? (And if it was you in a Matlock vest I helped you untangle yourself from a blackthorn tree on Ashlet!)

Didn't make it to the pub/presentation as by the time we had made it back to the van and got cleaned up, the rain was pouring down and soon turned to biblical proportions. Thankfully the race weather was pretty good in comparison.

Cardington Cracker hopefully up next.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Well done Pete.... it was myself who was chatting to your good wife at the finish!

Finished in 9th today, which was a bit lower than i'd hoped. But a huge pb by 5 minutes, so i can't really do any more than that, so overall very pleased.

Didn't feel like i had much "zip" going uphill... although i think now i'm becoming a bit more proficient along the flat and downhill bits, i'm spreading my effort out across races, rather than only being able to go on the charge on the climbs.

Made a brisk start out the first field, but not quite the pace i'd intended, it was just a bit too soft and slippery to build up a real head of steam... that said, i was 1st onto the opening climb and reached summmit in 3rd, 12 seconds quicker than last year (9:47).

Dropped a couple of places over the next descent. On the way up Yearlet was surprised by Llani appearing in front after an apparent directional issue off the first top.... from here spent most of the race in and around a group containing 5th-10th, and we were joined by Chris Jackson, Virgil Barton and Mel Price on the 3rd climb...

The leaders were still in sight on the final climb, perhaps 3-4mins ahead, and 5th-8th were tantalisingly close, but couldn't latch onto them and had to settle for defending 9th place from a couple of quick descenders behind.

Knew on the way up Callow that 1:10 was in with a chance if i kept it together, and dibbed in around 1:09:30 in the end.

Good to see so many familiar faces, from both on and off the forum. Really is a good fellrunning community round Shropshire.

Pete

Given my wife's description was nothing like how I would have described you, I assumed it had to be another forumite!

So, the question now is how did Llani end up in front of you on Yearlet? Maybe it's all that marathon training or perhaps the cheesy chips??
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Given my wife's description was nothing like how I would have described you, I assumed it had to be another forumite!

So, the question now is how did Llani end up in front of you on Yearlet? Maybe it's all that marathon training or perhaps the cheesy chips??
    I am sure Llani can shed more light on it, but i reckon a direct descent north off Ashlet into Townbrook Valley, rather than the race-path east down to the reservoir.

A couple of people have now mentioned ending up on the higher path on Callow Hollow and losing a little bit of time. I think finding the best route down off Grindle might throw a few people as well... you don't directly cross the main path at the two trees, but turn left along it for 50 yards before turning off it downhill again, gives you a much better line....

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I am sure Llani can shed more light on it, but i reckon a direct descent north off Ashlet into Townbrook Valley, rather than the race-path east down to the reservoir.

A couple of people have now mentioned ending up on the higher path on Callow Hollow and losing a little bit of time. I think finding the best route down off Grindle might throw a few people as well... you don't directly cross the main path at the two trees, but turn left along it for 50 yards before turning off it downhill again, gives you a much better line....
    To be fair, there is no checkpoint at the bottom of Townbrook Valley.
    Kicking myself over the Callow Hollow error - I've run down there sooo many times.
    Grindle, I don't get, After you hit the main path I usually turn right down the spur into the valley from the trees and take the straight line down to the head of the valley. Is there s quicker line?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

So I descend off Grindle and when I get to the main path at the two trees, I turn left following the path for about 40-50 yards. Then a sharp right to begin my main descent from there.

No idea if that is the "main" line or not? But it keeps you on a vague path/trod of sorts all the way down.

Someone mentioned to me today that they got bracken-bound on that descent and I assume it was just a case of being 50 or so yards off the best line.

Yeah, I get that and that's the way I go too. I did recce a more direct line a few years back and there is one and it could save you a few seconds if it was perfect conditions but it's steep and loads of gorse and bracken to negotiate.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

[QUOTE=Travs;681046]I am sure Llani can shed more light on it, but i reckon a direct descent north off Ashlet into Townbrook Valley, rather than the race-path east down to the reservoir.

Apologies for the late reply but I've been in Wales and can only post on here from my lap top at home. Password issues

Yes Pete, spot on. After the dibber on Ashlet I was following everyone else to the right but then saw two runners off to the left in the far distance. I think they were the leaders, so changed tack but by the time I had got to where I saw them they had obviously disappeared, so being a lazy bugger and not getting my map out I headed down and when I got into the Townbrook Valley the leaders were coming towards me!

It crossed my mind to run against everyone down to the dam and back again but didn't and I found myself in 3rd place going up Yearlet soon to be overtaken by others including a surprised chap wearing a Coventry Godiva vest

By now I had decided not to go flat out and was then steadily overtaken until the dib point below Callow. A steady climb up Callow and then the fast run in to the finish.
    I have not seen the results and fully expect a DQ next to my name as I did mention my cock up to a marshal. If I am shown in a false place in the results I shall email Mercia.

I thoroughly enjoyed the course and now will have to come back next year to do it properly. And yes, PeteS, thanks for unhooking me off that branch as I was about to be flipped backwards. I too had planned to go back to the Village Hall for a cup of tea and flapjack but after the heavens opened on getting back to my car I was cold. I can't remember rain that cold for a long time and was glad it hadn't started whilst I was on the hill.
    Chapeau to the marshals.

Hopefully see you at Cardington.

Oh I nearly forgot, I found an old £20 note going up Grindle. No longer legal currency but Charlotte at The Angel in Llani let me spend it on Butty Bach 4.5% from Wye Valley Brewery.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Apologies for the late reply but I've been in Wales and can only post on here from my lap top at home. Password issues

Yes Pete, spot on. After the dibber on Ashlet I was following everyone else to the right but then saw two runners off to the left in the far distance. I think they were the leaders, so changed tack but by the time I had got to where I saw them they had obviously disappeared, so being a lazy bugger and not getting my map out I headed down and when I got into the Townbrook Valley the leaders were coming towards me!

It crossed my mind to run against everyone down to the dam and back again but didn't and I found myself in 3rd place going up Yearlet soon to be overtaken by others including a surprised chap wearing a Coventry Godiva vest

By now I had decided not to go flat out and was then steadily overtaken until the dib point below Callow. A steady climb up Callow and then the fast run in to the finish.
    I have not seen the results and fully expect a DQ next to my name as I did mention my cock up to a marshal. If I am shown in a false place in the results I shall email Mercia.

I thoroughly enjoyed the course and now will have to come back next year to do it properly. And yes, PeteS, thanks for unhooking me off that branch as I was about to be flipped backwards. I too had planned to go back to the Village Hall for a cup of tea and flapjack but after the heavens opened on getting back to my car I was cold. I can't remember rain that cold for a long time and was glad it hadn't started whilst I was on the hill.
    Chapeau to the marshals.

Hopefully see you at Cardington.

Oh I nearly forgot, I found an old £20 note going up Grindle. No longer legal currency but Charlotte at The Angel in Llani let me spend it on Butty Bach 4.5% from Wye Valley Brewery.
    Well that clears a few things up. Glad you enjoyed Callow- it's a fine race and I was impressed by your direct descent of Ashlet to Townbrook which can't have been easy! Hopefully you'll come back next year and, as you say, do it properly.

I should be at Cardington and if not maybe LMV but as it's a championship race this year, may be giving it a miss.
    Last edited by PeteS; 23-11-2022 at 12:22 AM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Llani mentioned to me at the end that Callow would be a fantastic champs race as it would "sort a few people out"....

I have to totally agree.

I think the reason it isn't is due to that first climb.... 300-400 people charging towards that bottle-neck on the bridge, and that narrow initial climb up through the trees. I think they would have to start the race right back in the village to let it thin out, and then still look at an alternative way up Ashlet.

Results should be out today on Mercia site and SIentries.