Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Callow

https://merciafellrunners.org.uk/results/callow-2022/

Results.

Pretty gutted to have been so close to 4th/5th (in fact i was battling up the 3rd climb with Virgil who came 4th). There's only really the first three who pulled any kind of gap on the rest of the top 10 or so.

Will post the splits up if/when they turn up on sientries.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Looking at the splits, my error in Callow Hollow cost me at least a couple of places which I did claw back on the climb. So without that, I'd have been in the top half of the field but I'm pleased with my performance on the day regardless.
    Onwards and upwards!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

That section off Grindle and down Callow Hollow seems to have been my strongest (opening climb aside). I was "putting the boot down" in Callow Hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Llani mentioned to me at the end that Callow would be a fantastic champs race as it would "sort a few people out"....

I have to totally agree.

I think the reason it isn't is due to that first climb.... 300-400 people charging towards that bottle-neck on the bridge, and that narrow initial climb up through the trees. I think they would have to start the race right back in the village to let it thin out, and then still look at an alternative way up Ashlet.
    It would make a great championship race but there are problems with the start as you have stated and the lack of parking etc would need to be addressed.

An alternative would be to move the start to Church Stretton and hopefully string the field out enough before you hit the pinch point at the bottom of Townbrook. Though I guess that would pretty much be the 6 summits race minus a couple!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DXZ...w?usp=drivesdk

Winter Series table after two races.

Llani and PeteS looking strong. Hoping to challenge the v40 placings but will probably fall short as Long Mynd Valleys Champs race will have to be a counter for me, and will probably be 25% down on points at that one.

As a baggies fan and like a lot of seasons (but strangely not this one!), I often find myself wishing the season would end at Christmas before we begin our customary slide down the table...

It's looking increasingly unlikely I'll make Cardington and the LMVs being a championship race is not going to yield many points. So, I'll be pinning my hopes on a miraculous recovery with Carding Mill Canter and Wrekin (which really is pushing the boundaries of winter in April!)
    Last edited by PeteS; 27-11-2022 at 12:24 AM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Anyone fancy this? Nov 19th
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Sadly i'm missing it this year, as i'll be doing Brampton-Carlisle that day.

Best short race in the country.

Another Callow done and dusted. It was very windy on the tops and although we didn't get much rain, it has obviously been very wet for a while and consequently wet and slippery in places. Times were slower than last year due to the conditions but a good turnout of about 60-70 runners took part. Strava tells me I was climbing strongly with my 3rd best times on most of them. Other than the traverse of Ashlet, any running (which is negligible anyway) was heavily impacted by the weather so time was lost there.
    I wouldn't say I have my descending mojo back but felt far more confident on the descents than last time out so hope to see further improvement in that respect soon.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast