Thread: Knackered knuckles

Knackered knuckles

Is it just me, or is it fingers that attract more fellrunning injuries than any other part of the body? I don't falll that often, but I've currently got 3 knackered fingers. 2 from a fall in March, one on each hand. One of them's nearly recovered, but the other's still swollen & won't bend or straighten properly. And last night I fell again - nothing of a fall, but I bent another finger back. Interesting bruises, I can't type properly or tie laces without pain, & I suspect it'll be another that takes months to heal. I'm not asking for a solution, just wondering how many other runners are carrying long-term finger injuries.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Master

Re: Knackered knuckles

My right thumb will not bend properly at the joint closest to the nail after falling on the Green Wall descent at Ben Nevis - though it is better than it was. This was not prevented by wearing gloves - I will tape that joint next time.

My longest finger on the left hand will not bend properly now after a crash in the snow on Breaklow, a few months ago, which involved ramming the finger into a rock.

Usually one or two splattered fingers in the hospital tent after Snowdon!

None of the fingers on my left hand will straighten (all fixed at 90 degrees) since my fall on Blencathra last year.

Nothing permanent or current; but I have in the past:- Mid 80's Mid Lancs X Country at Lancaster Uni, slipped on mud and wet roots, middle finger of r. hand went under a tree root and was bent back at a very funny angle. 2006/2007 SROC New Year Cracker on Dalton Crags, slipped on wet limestone, little finger on r. hand went down a very narrow fissure and again was bent back at a very funny angle. Root cause is that on slipping/falling one instinctively put's the preferred arm out with palm splayed.
    I seem to be getting reasonably adept at putting my arm out with a clenched fist. On the cross bike I often fall off when a slope gets too demanding and I fail to unclip my feet in time; as it's low speed I settle for falling onto my upper arm / shoulder.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I've got what I can only describe as a 'soft' joint on my left hand thumb, but that was caused by crashing into a tree on my mountain bike. Also I broke my wrist and tore ligaments in both hands crashing my mountain bike. The only running related hand injuries I can think of are grazes to palms, and once I did my knuckles (...and scuffed my KIMM Sac badly!!) when tripping. Thats usually been over paving slabs that stick up slightly tho'!!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com