Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obesity: it's the food, stupid

Master

Obesity: it's the food, stupid

It would seem being overweight in Western society is about excessive caloric intake rather than reduced energy expenditure:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...e.0040503.s004

Re: Obesity: it's the food, st

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    It would seem being overweight in Western society is about excessive caloric intake rather than reduced energy expenditure:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...e.0040503.s004
    Maybe, but it's far easier to call people lazy than it is to regulate the food industry
    pies

Interesting.

What fascinates me is not whether fat people eat too much - they clearly do, but why fat people eat too much. Is it biochemical (ie, not getting the right messages that we're full), psychological (we eat because it makes us happy, or because we're worried there won't be a next meal), or societal (there's just so much high-calory food available)?

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Interesting.

What fascinates me is not whether fat people eat too much - they clearly do, but why fat people eat too much. Is it biochemical (ie, not getting the right messages that we're full), psychological (we eat because it makes us happy, or because we're worried there won't be a next meal), or societal (there's just so much high-calory food available)?
    I watched a really interesting episode of Horizon once and they concluded it was biochemical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    I watched a really interesting episode of Horizon once and they concluded it was biochemical.
    I've heard/read something similar: if you eat rubbish, your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs so it continues to send the message that it needs food. Eg, eat a McDonald's for lunch, the body gets little it really needs.

(Which ties in to the psychological as without the right nutrients, we're more prone to feeling down/tired etc and so will look for the quick fixes. Vicious circle.)
    Last edited by L.F.F.; 26-07-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    I've heard/read something similar: if you eat rubbish, your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs so it continues to send the message that it needs food. Eg, eat a McDonald's for lunch, the body gets little it really needs.

(Which ties in to the psychological as without the right nutrients, we're more prone to feeling down/tired etc and so will look for the quick fixes. Vicious circle.)
    On the odd occasion where I pick up a Fast Food Meal for lunch, and usually I go for a Zinger Meal or a Whopper Meal, then I find that's my appetite gone for the day.

However, when partaking on a healthier option, such as sandwich on wholemeal bread or salad based lunch, I find that I am starving by tea time and am far more likely to graze in the afternoon.

Maybe I'm not typical, as I'm not that conditioned to fast food?

Ultimately I think that obesity is usually down to a can't be ar£%ed attitude.

I just put Fattest nation on earth into google and got this Torygraph article
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...u-compare.html
    I read before about the pacific island nations of Micronesia and Tonga being the fattest and their is a biological reason but I cannot remember what it is!

this is an amazing stat.
    the US makes up only five per cent of the world's population, it accounts for almost a third of the world’s weight

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Interesting - I did not see that. I think there must be a little bit of the societal as well. If high-calorie food is so readily available, it's more tempting. Imagine if there's a cake on the table next to you. Most people are more like to think they feel hungry than if there are some healthy foods in a fridge next to them that they have to prepare and cook.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    On the odd occasion where I pick up a Fast Food Meal for lunch, and usually I go for a Zinger Meal or a Whopper Meal, then I find that's my appetite gone for the day.

However, when partaking on a healthier option, such as sandwich on wholemeal bread or salad based lunch, I find that I am starving by tea time and am far more likely to graze in the afternoon.

Maybe I'm not typical, as I'm not that conditioned to fast food?

Ultimately I think that obesity is usually down to a can't be ar£%ed attitude.
    Interesting! I think there's a lot to be learnt on this subject. I heard David Zabriskie was a vegan while watching the Tour de France so did a bit of research on him and he recommended a book called The Thrive Diet. Currently reading it (haven't got far yet), but it's certainly making me think about what we eat and generally accept as being ok.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    Interesting! I think there's a lot to be learnt on this subject. I heard David Zabriskie was a vegan while watching the Tour de France so did a bit of research on him and he recommended a book called The Thrive Diet. Currently reading it (haven't got far yet), but it's certainly making me think about what we eat and generally accept as being ok.
    Is EPO vegan?

Only joking Dan