Thread: Tatras

Tatras

anyone done any running in the Tatra's mountains, inparticular from Zakopane? Heading down that way for a few days in August whilst in Krakow. Be interested to know any particularly fine routes etc? thanks in advance
    Last edited by TheReverand; 29-07-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Re: Tatras

Did someone say Tatra? One of the rarest Iron Curtain motors...

Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Oh yes!!! Rear engined V8 air-cooled!

And as for the 8x8 trucks in the European Truck Trials!!:w00t:
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverand View Post
    anyone done any running in the Tatra's mountains, inparticular from Zakopane? Heading down that way for a few days in August whilst in Krakow. Be interested to know any particularly fine routes etc? thanks in advance
    A few years ago in the Fell Runner Magazine ( maybe 6 or 7 ) Ed Tressider had a good article on some routes that he'd done in that part of the world. Maybe 9 or 10 years ago, a group of Bowlanders had a long weekend ..... a couple of nights "clubbing" in Krakow followed by 2 or 3 days in the Tatras.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I would recommend this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cepers-Guide.../dp/8392051424 - we had a good trip using this and locally bought maps

you generally need to get a bus (no hassle) to/from the best starting places rather than run straight out of Zakopane

the routes are typically long runnable valley forest tracks followed by very steep zigzags of well made path up grassy slopes followed by rocky crest/summit. A lot of the rocky tops have some via ferrata type in situ gear but the scrambling is generally not too demanding, certainly not if you're a climber. The Poles do it all in flip flops, cut offs and a t shirt carrying a supermarket plastic bag containing those polythene bin bag waterproofs you buy at festivals and a few beers but some of the scrambling situations are quite serious. You get some great looks running the descents There's enough summits for a few days and the choice is mainly down to how much scrambling/exposure you want - if you're avoiding serious scrambling the routes dictate themselves

HTH P

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    I would recommend this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cepers-Guide.../dp/8392051424 - we had a good trip using this and locally bought maps

you generally need to get a bus (no hassle) to/from the best starting places rather than run straight out of Zakopane

the routes are typically long runnable valley forest tracks followed by very steep zigzags of well made path up grassy slopes followed by rocky crest/summit. A lot of the rocky tops have some via ferrata type in situ gear but the scrambling is generally not too demanding, certainly not if you're a climber. The Poles do it all in flip flops, cut offs and a t shirt carrying a supermarket plastic bag containing those polythene bin bag waterproofs you buy at festivals and a few beers but some of the scrambling situations are quite serious. You get some great looks running the descents There's enough summits for a few days and the choice is mainly down to how much scrambling/exposure you want - if you're avoiding serious scrambling the routes dictate themselves

HTH P
    There were plenty wearing even less than that on some of the higher mountain passes when I was there on a walking holiday in 2007, not that I complained about bikini-clad women sunbathing on our route!

One route I'd recommend which avoids serious scrambling and is generally on good paths is the 'Valley of the Five Lakes' circuit but do it early to avoid the crowds!

thanks i may just have to get that book

well I had a great couple of days running/jog hiking in the Tatra, 30c throughout though so not my regular running conditions some of the scrambling is definately more climbing than scrambling :P makes sharp edge look like a walk in the park on some routes.... and you have to stay high and away from the 'honey pots' unless you want to be running through hordes upon hordes of Poles.... really beautiful and savage mountains