Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ban Three Peaks Runners

Re: Ban Three Peaks Runners

Thanks Alf. I have just posted my reply. Suggested he come and watch next years INTERNATIONAL Three Peaks.
    Perhaps I'll have a quiet word with him then

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    I haven't seen the original article, but given that it was in the Yorkshire Post, I would have thought it highly likely that the 3 peaks referred to were those in Yorkshire.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrkk, wrong 3 peaks W! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrk

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Hickman View Post
    This was posted on another forum by a poster not known for going off on one:

THEN there's the litter ----- (this is training runs I'm on about btw --- can't see them getting away with it on "organized runs btw) ---- the number of times I've been run past (on Kinder in particular) & then had the group of runners stop at the peak for lunch & leave their crap --- health-grain wrappers, "high-energy drink" containers etc lying around !!!

Now I know that no one on this forum would behave in such a manner, but apparently people do (and I've certainly seen the littering evidence down here in the form of gel packets and drinks containers)...so what should we do about it?

Cheers - Raymond
    14 of us went on a recce last saturday - you may have heard not 1 of us dropped, discarded, hid (!) any litter in fact some was collected.

Today I was out on the fells and was stopped in my tracks at the litter on winter hill - beer cans (and the plastic things that hold the 4 packs), tin foil wrappers, junk food packets, bottles both glass and plastic and so on - clearly some form of social gatherering for the inept had occured.

I was even going to take a photo but had a hill to climb and people to find to mow down

I had quite an experience of "Britains fittest hill walkers" doing the national 3 peaks. I was camping in Wasdale after a days running and had a wander to the wasdale head head on the saturday night.

I had quite a few beers and started to make my journey back to the national trust camp site. I was on my own and kind of enjoying looking at the darkened hills surrounding the valley. It was a moment of semi drunk bliss thinking wow I was up there today and looking where I had been.

Next thing I stumbled on an aboslute load of racket, headtorches and about 20 vans, with a lot of woo hoo's lets do it. I honestly thought a space ship had landed. My tranquil bliss turned into total confusion. Then it clicked ah right summers evening must be an office outing of stock brokers albeit "britains fittest stock brokers" doing the 3 peaks challenge.

I tell you what I was pissed off with the disturbance of my little semi drunk bliss. God knows how that farm feels who's garden they trample through at all hours

Jamie
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 28-06-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Sorry i can't stop laughing about ' Britains fittest stockbrokers' lol, don't know why but it is a tad incongruous.

Just been asked by my little brother if I could help out with the "6 Peaks Challenge" this weekend. Despite my feelings on 3 peakers, think I will still help out with this one as at least I'd be helping someone to do something they enjoy. However I wonder whether the participants would be so willing to turn up and help out with fell races? My guess is some would, but not many!!
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Soem people won't rest till they have everything banned from the countryside apart from walking. Driving 4x4's is already getting more and more limited despite alot of the routes being Roads but happen to be unsurfaced I've been complained at for that. I get complained at when I ride my pushbike on bridleways and people complain about horses too. I've had comments when running. Suprisingly I've never had any complaints when I'm out walking interesting that. Tell you what why don't we ban everything from the countryside that distrubs the piece and tranquility so thats tractors, cars, sheep, cows, birds, walkers and the like when whoever wrote the letter in the YEP would then find that they couldn't enjoy the peace and quiet of the countryside as they wouldn't be allowed there themself. Some people make me mad

Hoping to get my letter of reply published in the YEP this week.
    Basically told him to f*** off and that he was a to$$er
    I did word it politely though

Quote Originally Posted by detritus21 View Post
    Soem people won't rest till they have everything banned from the countryside apart from walking.

Aren't most of the 3 peakers walkers though??? Not very many runners amongst the ones I've seen (not meaning the fell race or the Yacht Race, or Cyclocross).

I think the issue is more about how people manage themselves in the countryside, it can't be pleasant being awaken night upon end with the sound of slamming doors and tooting horns can it?

Perhaps all 3 peaks charity events should be limited to just one day of the year? However I think the greed of some of the big charities might not be satisfied with this...
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Aren't most of the 3 peakers walkers though???
    Assuming you mean 'walkers' in the sense of 'hill walkers', I don't think most of them are even that. The only people I know of who've done it, had never walked up a hill before in their lives, and have never walked up another one since.