Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Treadmill Training

Treadmill Training

Apologies if there is a thread for this somewhere else, did a quick search but nothing really came up.

Due to a new member to the family (yaaawwwnnn!), I have been struggling to get running time, so have recently purchased a treadmill. What are the thoughts on training on a treadmill, I realise its not the same, but if I can get out 1/2 days a week and top this up with treadmill running - could this still be beneficial and give good results? Any thoughts appreciated.

Re: Treadmill Training

I think it will be beneficial, especially if you stick it on a bit of an incline now and again...
    unfortunately for you though, it's going to be a wee bit tedious!

As much as I mocked you on twitter earlier, treadmills can be beneficial. The main benefit however is that the pace is consistent (so no hiding), which is more of a benefit to road runners. That said, training intensely for the road is a better route to overall fitness, "running fast times on the road is much harder than doing well on the fells" so said a wise (not so) old sage to me recently
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    "running fast times on the road is much harder than doing well on the fells" so said a wise (not so) old sage to me recently
    Rob - what was the sage's reasoning behind that statement?
    El Pistolero de Wasdale

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Rob - what was the sage's reasoning behind that statement?
    You can't hide on the roads. Pace is high all the time and if you blow up that's it. On the fells you get checkpoints, stiles, gates, walking climbs etc. which all can give an opportunity to recover that you don't get on the road. Basically the intensity is higher for longer periods.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

I do speed sessions on the treadmill listening to some high tempo music. Usually follow it up with some ab work. I think it's beneficial just to mix things up.

It is very beneficial, and if you cant get out to run then having a treadmill is ideal I woud use it for tempo/high intensity training, if you keep the training short but intense, you wont get bored of it so easy From personal experience, since I stopped using one, Ive lost a lot of 'zip', but maybe thats because im getting older

Thanks for the feedback. I've been on it a few times now and can honestly say that it is bloody boring, constantly watching the distance and time ticking by instead of enjoying the scenery is shocking. I can see the benefits, and found it pushed me when normally I would slow down for a breather. I also found in the past that the fastest I have been on the fells is when I had a strong training schedule in road running, I think constantly training on the fells makes me sluggish, so cross fingers it will be a big benefit. Also think I could do with air-con in the garage - not great!

Agreeing with your last post, boring is an understatement. My sister is a big road runner and got a treadmill for her room so she could run over winter, she used it about 6 times realised there was no way she could do a 2 hour run on it and sent it back claiming she was too heavy for its reccomended guidelines. a small white lie never hurt anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    You can't hide on the roads. Pace is high all the time and if you blow up that's it. On the fells you get checkpoints, stiles, gates, walking climbs etc. which all can give an opportunity to recover that you don't get on the road. Basically the intensity is higher for longer periods.
    Can't say I agree Rob. Up until mid February 2011 I had been a road runner for 30 years. I started training for the BG and did London late April 2011. Ran 3.16 with last 2 miles at 6.11 miling, best I have ever felt in the marathon and could have kept going quite happily. Only reason a ran so slowly overall was that I assumed that as this was after 10 weeks of running no more than 2 miles without walking, I wouldn't be able to handle 26 miles non stop running.

As a coach I have since tried to instil into all my athletes the benefits of fell training compared to the 'easy' option of running on the roads.
    If you're going through Hell - keep going! Winston Churchill