Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower back pain recovery time

Lower back pain recovery time

Back in 2000 I had a cycling accident (car turning left in front of me giving me nowhere to go except straight into her side) which resulted in me suffering problems with the left side of the lower back,this being made worse when bending forward, so cycling and such activity as mowing the lawn were out of the question for a few months. Once I'd finally recovered from this I've not really had any problems with the back until one bike ride last year during which it stiffened badly but had cleared again after 3 days.

Last week however while sat down at a meeting at work I felt the back stiffen up again and since then has worsened to the point that I am now signed off work for a fortnight and although getting out of bed in the morning has become easier progress has been slow - After 4 days of just high dosage ibuprofen I have moved on sodium diclofenac which touch wood will help speed up the recovery process.

Has anyone else out there suffered such back problems and if so how long did it take to recover fully?

Re: Lower back pain recovery t

I have, a couple of times. First time found lots of yoga exercises specifically for backs ( but avoid the bending forwards ones if you are doing them to recover rather than strengthen). Also found that sessions on the climbing wall really helped, and was much better within a week or two. Don't know what it was, didn't see a doc or anything, but from reading round seemed to be a slipped disc. Have felt slight recurrences now and again, usually when I neglect the yoga routine for too long. Had a bout at Christmas and went straight to the climbing wall which really helped sort it out.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Actually a mate of mine had back problems after a bad bike accident with a car and I gave him the routine I had worked out and it helped him.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

I've got a physio appointment this evening, i've been suffering with a bad back/stiff pelvis on and off for years, my left side. Its now got to the point where i really struggle to get out of bed in a morning, and it takes about an hour of shuffling round before it eases off.

I'll let you know what advice is given later.

Thanks for your responses Grouse and Sarah -and good luck with the physio app't Sarah.

The getting out of bed in the morning is becoming easier (although the first few steps after sitting down are a struggle) and there has been noticeable improvement since moving on to the prescription drugs -even managed a relatively comfortable 20 mins walk last night. I'm also already doing the standing pilates exercises for a sway back posture but not the bending forward ones -don't look quite so much like the leaning tower of Pisa now either!!

I just need it all to clear before a walking holiday in the Tatra Mountains a little over 2 weeks away -leaving the decision on cancellation until as late as possible.

Ohh do i know what you are talking about.
    The correct diagnosis is essential with this complaint.
    I tried "Googeling" my symptoms and was way of .
    I ended up with a prolapsed disc diagnosis and adjusted my rehabilitation accordingly.
    There realy is no alternative to the old adage "time is a great healer.
    Though i was back running after 3 months or so ,it has taken over a year to get full confidence back
    I also carry out 20 mins of back exersises both before and after runs. i do exersises everyday without fail.
    I use a couple of books for advise and but for my back stiffening up usualy after prolonged sitting i am relativly pain free.

I had a car accident a couple of years ago (I was stationary and waiting to turn right and was hit from behind by a woman in a Volvo who was "distracted by something" and hit me at 50mph whist in a 30mph zone). The force cracked the front screen and dashboard to the extent the radio/cd was hanging out. The car , an imported Mitsubishi Mirage R was written off, I was unconscious, cut out of the car but "luckily" escaped with three compressed vertebrae. I had many physio appointments over the next 18 months that was mainly for muscle damage and relieving of inflammation around the discs. I still get sudden stabbing pains (like I've been stabbed with a knife) in my lower back, but not very often now, and it soon passes and I'm fine. I find running up steep hills a bit of a bugger but I quite often pop a couple of ibuprofen before I start and it seems to help a lot, although it doesn't seem to cure me of being a "duffer" . It appears I just have to live with it, although I must say it is better since I've taken up fell running and triathlon

I can relate to this as it's just struck me again!!!! after a month of easy training...... first race back I've really damaged something in the lower back to the point of struggling to walk and with my past history i'm very concerned! I burst a disc in my back several years ago and had to have surgery and this feels worse! only the next few weeks will tell how severe this is but hopefully there's still some running left in me yet! the queen has no idea what a annus horibilis is until she can't do the things she likes the most! not a happy chappie right now

Unlucky Darren,

Was your first race back Aggies?

You had a cracking run on the back of your "god I need help" problem.

Hope you get this thing sorted quickly

Jamie

Sorry to hear about your latest problems DCL.

I have finally recovered (been a lot better since the weekend) but with an office job (sat on my arse all day!!) was advised by my employers not to return to work too quickly so tomorrow will be my first day back- I am also planning an easy run or three over the next week, together with the daily pilates/exercise sessions, before my Tatras walking holiday which is only 11 days away now.