Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cycle Clubs

Cycle Clubs

Hi, this is not a running post I know but since knee problems I took up road biking as well, which seems to help.

Anyway, motivation for anything is not good at the moment and so thinking of joning a cycle club so I can get the motivation to go out, get fitter again and up the distance etc. So looking for advice on local clubs. I live Pateley Bridge way but there are no clubs locally. Harrogate Nova's a no go as I'm not super human but I have seen that both Ilkley and Otley have cycle clubs.

I'm ok on a road bike (though not as good as I am on a mounatin bike). I guess my pace is pretty good for a girl on flats and downhills and gentle inclines but as soon as it hits a hill I go backward in relation to the men. Don't get me wrong I can get up the hills ok but just not at the pace of a man. Rubbish leg strength I guess.

So I can't cycle with super fast blokes but I don't want to cycle really slow either. Any advice from anyone on what Otley or Ilkey cycle clubs are like? Or any other suggestions?

If any road club also MTB that would be an added bonus!!

Ta muchly

Re: Cycle Clubs

Flopsy, is there a CTC group in you area? I've always been a "reasonable" cyclist ( was into 10 mile TT's before getting into fell running in '83 ). I've made a decision to rest my ageing knees this summer by concentrating on cycling. On Thursdays I go out with a group from the Lancaster & South Lakes CTC ( mostly pensioners and middle-aged housewives with time to spare ). They tend to average 13-14 mph on the level, which is not particularly nippy, but they keep it up for 60 - 70 miles with a mid morning coffee stop and a lunch break, home in time for tea.

Ian.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Thanks Ian. No CTC groups in my area though. Bummer.

I'll keep looking. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    Thanks Ian. No CTC groups in my area though. Bummer.

I'll keep looking. Thanks though.
    Have you thought of a local Triathlon club. They often have very mixed cycle groups going out. The one I used to belong to had a vary wide range of abilities going out twice a week. You, potentially, get the advantage of a couple of weekly swim sessions too!! :thumbup: Also what's 'WheelEasy' in Harrogate?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

See also local bike shops for clubs and/or groups going out!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Don't suppose anyone knows of a club in Leeds (ideally N Leeds) that has different groups with mixed abilities? Otley is a bit too far away unfortunately. Do LBT have cycle groups that go out a weekends?
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

LBT is pretty much based in Otley. I used to be a member years ago and Otley was where we did the open water swimming. At that time there wasn't much of an active road cycling scheme. In fact most of their training seemed to be about swimming, circuits or some track work. BUT things mights have changed since then. If anyone knows if it's picked up a bit then it'd be great to know as I'll probably end up doing some more triathlons and so I'd join LBT for the open water swimming anyway. Cycling would be a bonus.

I have contacted a local shop but as yet have had no reply.

Wheel Easy is as it says - easy cycling (well from what I've seen and heard).

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    LBT is pretty much based in Otley. I used to be a member years ago and Otley was where we did the open water swimming. At that time there wasn't much of an active road cycling scheme. In fact most of their training seemed to be about swimming, circuits or some track work. BUT things mights have changed since then. If anyone knows if it's picked up a bit then it'd be great to know as I'll probably end up doing some more triathlons and so I'd join LBT for the open water swimming anyway. Cycling would be a bonus.

I have contacted a local shop but as yet have had no reply.

Wheel Easy is as it says - easy cycling (well from what I've seen and heard).
    Otley is too far for me at present - living in Roundhay, I'd do almost as many miles in getting to/from Otley, as I'd want to be cycling at the moment, and driving there kind of defeats the purpose somewhat...

Any forumites interested in setting up a N Leeds cycling group since there doesn't seem to be one?
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Don't suppose anyone knows of a club in Leeds (ideally N Leeds) that has different groups with mixed abilities? Otley is a bit too far away unfortunately. Do LBT have cycle groups that go out a weekends?
    It's slightly to your south-east, but what about Seacroft Wheelers??

They have quite a mixed range of abilities, going by the comments on their FaceBook pages

http://www.seacroftwheelers.co.uk/

They also arrange (or did) the excellent Cyclo-Cross at Temple Newsam, & have also organised the summer series event at Brigshaw School in Kippax

A few of their members (eg; a very good cyclo-crosser, name of Steve Barnes) also ride the grass-track in Roundhay Park

http://www.cycleroundhay.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1
    Last edited by RichardAThackeray; 13-12-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire
    Did either of you find a Club to join??
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'