Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The lost art of navigation?

Re: The lost art of navigation

GPS gadgets should be discarded as soon as possible in your fell running career, and preferably thrown in the nearest lake, mere, water or down the nearest shakehole. They will never be a suitable substitute for a map and a compass, and the popularity of all this expensive peripheral junk will give rise to the belief that they actually are. There seems to be this crazy technological race where companies are competing to reinvent the wheel with batteries and bluetooth, a race that the budding fell runner should steer well clear of.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    . Last year on the LDMT I kept bumping in to a very nice rather poshly spoken chap who made his way round by repeatedly asking anybody and everybody where he was on the map, what way they were going to the next CP, can i join you etc - I mean, why choose the Mountain Trial of all things when you know you can't read a map? :angry:

P

I always thought you had to give proof of experience (previous MMs or long fell races) to get into the LDMT?

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Just before the Borrowdale fell race I happened to compare my compass (which was pointing north as you might expect) to Hester's which had the red arrow firmly pointing south! She was somewhat sceptical that her compass was wrong and compared it to Gavin's, another runner nearby. Gavin's compass too was pointing south! But both of their (micky mouse) compasses were absolutely wrong.

Never mind GPS, don't always trust your compass
    Yes, this can happen, either due to rubbish compasses or local geology. This is where having both map and compass skills are important, as given a clear day, you should be able to relocate using the map only. In the clag, of course, it's different - a working compass is essential.
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

According to the FRA navigation course that I went on, you also shouldn't trust your compass if you are wearing an underwired bra...Mr.Navigator, did I dream that bit or was it actually really said? Re Borrowdale, you've got to admit that two compasses pointing south is quite unusual but evidence that you shouldn't trust anything. I remember the day Stolly and I were doing a recce of Langdale Horseshoe and he was able to demonstrate his relocation skills when we discovered that were actually on Glaramara :thumbup:

No GPS for me thank you, I am still trying to get the hang of a compass and map.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Just before the Borrowdale fell race I happened to compare my compass (which was pointing north as you might expect) to Hester's which had the red arrow firmly pointing south! She was somewhat sceptical that her compass was wrong and compared it to Gavin's, another runner nearby. Gavin's compass too was pointing south! But both of their (micky mouse) compasses were absolutely wrong.

Never mind GPS, don't always trust your compass
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Quite an expensive Silva compass Fozzy, I think they are quite a reputable make. I believe that you can muck up the magnetism by putting it next to your mobile phone? That's what I was told by some 'experts' on the start line.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Yes, this can happen, either due to rubbish compasses or local geology. This is where having both map and compass skills are important, as given a clear day, you should be able to relocate using the map only. In the clag, of course, it's different - a working compass is essential.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Quote Originally Posted by Epocian View Post
    I always thought you had to give proof of experience (previous MMs or long fell races) to get into the LDMT?
    It is entirely possible for runners to get round these sorts of races without navigation skills - you could do a MM with a partner who does all the navigation and the vast majority fellrunners get round most races without a recce, simply by following the runner in front.

I suspect far too many fellrunners have little to no navigational skills. After starting orienteering, I am now aware of how poor my navigational skills were. They are getting better through practise, but there is still along way to go...
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Quite an expensive Silva compass Fozzy, I think they are quite a reputable make. I believe that you can muck up the magnetism by putting it next to your mobile phone? That's what I was told by some 'experts' on the start line.
    You certainly can, any strong magnetic force can do such a thing
    pies

No GPS for me thank you, I am still trying to get the hang of a compass and map.
    Give orienteering a try - definitely sharpens your navigational skills - in particular knowing where you are at any point in time.

I'd be surprised, but it's possible I guess. I'd need to do the Maths to be sure (and remind myself of the relevant equations) - but I don't have the time or energy at present

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    You certainly can, any strong magnetic force can do such a thing
    As per my other post, I'd be surprised if the EM field generated by a mobile would be strong enough, but without doing the maths, I have to concede that it is possible.

My initial rational is that if the EM field from a mobile was sufficiently strong to much up a compass, why doesn't it wipe your credit card etc when they are in close proximity in your pocket?