Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We wanted to say hello!

We wanted to say hello!

Hi, really fab website so pleased I found it. Just wanted to say hello and gather ANY words of wisdom that you have. We are planning a Bob Graham and just thinking about our prep so I am sure I will be on here lots. First some background.

I'm Mike, hello I am at the wrong end of my 40s and I work as a mountain leader mainly in the lake district. I also work in Teesside at a job I don't talk about but pays the bills. Now I dont race or live for running but I do love the hills so a couple of years ago started jogging on the hills for fitness and love it. At the same time my wife introduced be to her chum Jane who is a ultra marathon nutter but cant navigate. We struck up a training partnership based on Jane shows me how to run for mind numbing amounts of time and I would show her how to navigate.

Now Jane is always trying to get me to enter races and I am always trying to talk her into hill based epics. Last week we both realised that we had a long time dream of doing the Bob Graham but never felt we could until we read this site and Bobs. Turns out that 30miles of hills and a long day each week isnt far off what we are doing now. The spur of the moment decision was, well it would be wrong not to give it a go. So we are, aiming for June time next year. We both fancy a low key minimalist attempt.
    Any advice and guidance would be welcomed, I have never gone over 30 miles before (hills of course, dont even own a pair of road shoes) but live in Threlkeld so have access to the route. Jane is good for the miles and mental fortitude with a CV to support it but isn't as keen on hills as I am.

I look forward to getting to know you all as time goes by.

Banned

Re: We wanted to say hello!

Hi Mike and welcome.

Supporting others is part of the BG tradition and a great way to start. Most will welcome you and you will learn loads in terms of routes, foods and planning.
    A lot is mental toughness over 24hr and helping and seeing what people go through will give you a better understanding of what you're considering.

PS I have never done it but my Wife did it last May (so I have half an idea)
    Last edited by Stagger; 20-08-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks for the comments, supporting/nav/carrying/pacing are definately on the list for prep, just want to make sure that I dont slow anyone down first. I pretty much always run on my own so unsure how slow/fast I am. Got a couple of days off coming so may give the 2nd leg an outing and see what the times are like and take it from there.

cheers.

Banned

This is the font of all BG knowledge for most attempts.
    http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php
    Work out your schedule and then it will give you split times at summits and change overs. You can then work your own pace.

Hi Mike,

My partner and I have a caravan a few miles from Threlkeld. We are both BGR vets and completed our rounds in 2006 and 2008. Always glad to help out when we can and we spend every other weekend up there March - October. put me down for leg 3 nav when you set your date.

Hi Mike, I also work in Teesside but try to get out of there every weekend! Supported on 1 BG but up for more with a view to one of my own in the future, lemme know if you need any help and I'll try and squeeze you into my race schedule!!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Thanks moorlander, interesting choice of leg will need to find out why you like that one. your offer is very kind I will certainly be in contact once the recces are under way.

Ba-ba, if you run on the moors in the evening then our paths will have crossed. We were going to use the cleveland scarpment osmotherly to ingleby incline for our teesside outings. mainly concentrating between scugdale and clay bank, plenty of ups and dows there for an evening out. Any other suitable locations you could suggest?

I tend to do routes based around the Roseberry/Ayton Moors/Hutton Woods or Carlton Bank-Bloworth Crossing areas. Getting the suggested 10000ft/week of climb in can be difficult, but I've squeezed 900m+ of ascent out of a 105min run over the 4 peaks and Urra Moor. Spent a nice 90mins circumnavigating Bilsdale today, then a not very nice 45mins getting back to Clay bank over the 4 peaks.
    I've been eyeing hill training on the Incline for a while, but only run up it once, hence my less-than-sparkling performances (well, compared to what I want) at Fell Races this year!
    Dave's Fell Races are good fun if you want to inject a little bit of pace and short-term suffering into your regime! I'll be the lad in a Pennine vest (i.e. German colours!)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by beenatitforyears View Post
    Jane is good for the miles and mental fortitude with a CV to support it but isn't as keen on hills as I am.
    I'd say that first and foremost Jane will need to get keen on hills