Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakeland 50

Lakeland 50

Thinking of entering next years race but the price is putting me off a little especially when I will be turning up on the day and going home afterwards and therefore won't need the 'free' camping or some of the other things thrown in for the entry fee.

Before I make a final decision can anyone give me some info about the route. I know there is some info on the website but how much is runnable, how many climbs, descents etc.

If anyone can give me some info about the route (and about the race generally) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: Lakeland 50

A good write up here by BritNick on the 50.
    I'd reccomend stopping over on saturday night, even if your fast it's a long day out.
    Hills and Guinness!

Thanks Steve

Will read Nick's report - in fact I read it a while ago and forgot about it.

On holiday in the area so won't need to camp

Quote Originally Posted by Richard36 View Post
    Thanks Steve

Will read Nick's report - in fact I read it a while ago and forgot about it.

On holiday in the area so won't need to camp
    Also worth a read is this years winner of the 100 blog gives the mileage and ascent and descent between each checkpoint. Understand the concern about the price (i'm a yorkshireman) but it's a great route and a great atmosphere.
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Also worth a read is this years winner of the 100 blog gives the mileage and ascent and descent between each checkpoint. Understand the concern about the price (i'm a yorkshireman) but it's a great route and a great atmosphere.
    worth every penny :thumbup:
    I can resist everything but temptation

http://ultrarunningcollie.blogspot.com/

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Richard36 View Post
    Thinking of entering next years race but the price is putting me off a little especially when I will be turning up on the day and going home afterwards and therefore won't need the 'free' camping or some of the other things thrown in for the entry fee.

Before I make a final decision can anyone give me some info about the route. I know there is some info on the website but how much is runnable, how many climbs, descents etc.

If anyone can give me some info about the route (and about the race generally) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    I have done the the UTLD the last couple of years @£70 and yes it was good value but @£90 I am priced out, therefore I am going for HARDMOORS 110 http://www.hardmoors110.org.uk/cms/?q=node/125 @£40 as it seems it will be a good value grass roots event more akin to theUTLD in its early days. :thumbup:
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I have done the the UTLD the last couple of years @£70 and yes it was good value but @£90 I am priced out, therefore I am going for HARDMOORS 110 http://www.hardmoors110.org.uk/cms/?q=node/125 @£40 as it seems it will be a good value grass roots event more akin to theUTLD in its early days. :thumbup:
    thats a £50 difference which im sure would be more than gobbled up by petrol, camping etc so in the end you're no better off at best..probably worse off
    I can resist everything but temptation

http://ultrarunningcollie.blogspot.com/

Richard123 - that's brilliant. Thanks for that. I have read Nick's report and Terry's and had pretty much mapped out the route using Terry's description and which corresponds with the link you provided. Despite not needing/wanting half of the things which my entry fee will provide I'm tempted to give it a go.

Cheers

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ultracollie View Post
    thats a £50 difference which im sure would be more than gobbled up by petrol, camping etc so in the end you're no better off at best..probably worse off
    I assume yo are just referring to me as an example because I live in the Lakes, but your sums are wrong in my case as I run my van on LPG and kip in it as well so costs are not high for me.

Most folk travel for UTLD and not all camp including you therefore the costs for many remain the same wherever they go so for some the 50 quid saving will pay the fuel costs
    ************************************************** ****************************************

Quote Originally Posted by Richard123 View Post

Interesting article and the pen name seems very familiar

off course I may be wrong and if so I apologise
    Last edited by JohnK; 03-10-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was