Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trog's Training

Trog's Training

It is almost 2 years since I posted on here and 22 months since I raced on the fells.

I very nearly had a run out at the Captain Cook race on New Years day but I changed my mind and announced to those near to me in life that my competitive days were over.

I kept things ticking over and only missed one day of running in January to record 106 miles, but days off became more and more regular. In early June I decided to go to the local Gym with the other half. Since then I have not run out doors, but I have been doing 3 or 4 runs per week on a treadmill averaging about 50 miles a month.

Looking on the bright side, the two main niggles that had blighted my training last winter appear to have cleared them selves up.

The question that I am now asking myself is: “Is my mind and body up to a Fell racing comeback?”

My local 'Winter series' kicks off in a couple of weeks with a 8mile 1500ft 'er. A slight drawback is that I am on holiday for a couple of weeks between now and then and the longest run of this year was a paltry 41 mins back on April 1st.

They say that “The hardest step is the first one” so I thought that this post could be the first step. Based on TheHeathens thread 'A self indulgent training diary' from a couple of years ago I would document my progress (if any) along the journey. Please feel free to comment.

Enough waffle for now, the second step is to don my running kit and parade my unhealthily white body to all and sundry and go for my first run in the fresh air for three months.

Cheers
    Dave
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

Re: Trog's Training

First outdoor run for three months completed. I jogged about half a mile to my local woods where I did a lap and returned home. At 21 minutes it was probably a little short of three miles, but all things being equal I was reasonably pleased that it was not as bad as I had anticipated.

On checking the diary I have realised that the race is only a fortnight away and I am going away next Tuesday until the Friday before it. Hopefully I can get a couple of short trots in whilst I am away.

An easy run on the flat today.

Ran what was my easy 30 minute run from a couple of years ago. Kept it comfortable and finished in 33 minutes, a couple of the joints were creaking a bit at times leading to the question "Is a comeback realistic?" but in reality if I don't try it I will never know.

Keep it up mate! Life's just better when you're running :thumbup:

Welcome back Trog, slowly but surely mate
    Hills and Guinness!

Thanks Dan and Steve, there is an American coach, Benson who sums it up as:

I took another minor step forward this morning by cutting across to the cliff tops south of Whitby to run for half an hour on the Cleveland way, nothing strenuous but there are a few short sharp up and downs plus a steady uphill drag of about 5 minutes. As I have run that section loads of times I knew I could comfortably do it but its the hardest the heart and lungs have worked for a long while.

It will have no training value for the race in 13 days other than a confidence boost that perhaps I am not quite as unfit as I think I am.

A little bit despondent to find a few joints a bit stiff & sore this morning, but an easy 15 minute jog went Ok.

Off on holiday today but hopefully I will be able to fit in a few easy trots whilst away.

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    ...... a few joints a bit stiff & sore this morning, .....
    Goes with the territory now, cycling is a good alternative session

'Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success' consistency - an absolute must, probably modify moderate to slow/moderate and add a good weekly quality session (doesn't have to be too long).

We don't improve as much as we should because we run our slow runs to fast and our fast runs too slow!

Enjoy your hols.
    Tuffer

Is enjoying the running

Banned

Don't over do it. A race finished is better than a race missed due to injury.
    Slowly, slowly, catch the monkey.
    All the best Trog.

Cheers Tuffer & Stagger

Well the hols went better than expected from a running point of view. I managed a short trot every day averaging a tad over 20 minutes and culminating with a 32 min run around Silverhill in Nottinghamshire yesterday.

After returning home tonight I managed another 20 min run around the local woods in my fell shoes which haven’t seen the light of day this year.

I know full well that Sunday's race will be a big step up from the last couple of weeks easy running, but things are beginning to fall into place.