Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colds and Flu etc.

Colds and Flu etc.

Is there anyone on here, like a doctor/dietician/etc., who really knows about the immune system and how to minimise colds and flus?
    The story is this... after having been a runner for 24 years I'm not somone who has suffered as much as many others with colds and the like. In recent years, I've been very good and taken Evening Primrose and Vitamin C with Zinc every day.
    During the first half of 2007 I was running probably as well as I had done for about 5 years, including a 5K under 17:00, 10K under 35:00 and 3K in under 9:40 - all things that I'd not managed since 2002/3. I'd not had any lay offs with colds or injuries since 2005, so enjoying a good run of uninterrupted training!
    Then came the catch... first week of June when it was roasting hot - I get the mother of all cold viruses. No training for a fortnight and generally felt crap! Eventually got over it and was racing again in August... went on holiday in September, came back home, and straight away, another really bad cold... got back racing again late October. December saw me get FLU for the first time in my life (yes, proper flu, not a cold!)... another fortnight 'up the Swanny', and this last few days, another cold! 4 instances in less than 9 months... what the **** is going on???
    Sorry to sound like I'm having a whinge, as we all have colds and things getting in the way of training, but this just seems to have got to the point where I think I need to change something, and I've no idea what!!! Someone has suggested the flu jab...
    Any useful advice gratefully received... I'm not wasting my time with the GP on this one...
    You'll never Walk Alone!

Re: Colds and Flu etc.

i had the flu jab last year ( because i get mild ashma ) this year ive had three really bad colds , despite vitamin c healthy diet , and keeping fit . still its a flu jab not a cold jab i suppose . i put mine down to working in a large place with many people , somebodys always got a bug .

1.Avoid all humans.
    2.Wash hands like crazy if near humans, cold viruses are now thought to be largely spread by hand (then to mouth nose or eyes) contact with virus deposited on surfaces by an infected individual, (not directly through the air by droplets -that is sneezing people).
    3.No good evidence supports Vit C, echinacea, zinc and certainly not evening primrose oil, or any other hocus-pocus nonsense.
    4.Don't get overtrained.
    5.The flu jab stops only the particular strains of flu you're immunised against, and arguably if you are fit enough to be running you shouldn't be wasting NHS or your own resources having one, unless you are either a diabetic, asthmatic or spleen-less fellrunner.
    6.I've also just caught another, don't have school-age children in the house.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Updownupdown View Post
    1.Avoid all humans.
    2.Wash hands like crazy if near humans, cold viruses are now thought to be largely spread by hand (then to mouth nose or eyes) contact with virus deposited on surfaces by an infected individual, (not directly through the air by droplets -that is sneezing people).
    3.No good evidence supports Vit C, echinacea, zinc and certainly not evening primrose oil, or any other hocus-pocus nonsense.
    4.Don't get overtrained.
    5.The flu jab stops only the particular strains of flu you're immunised against, and arguably if you are fit enough to be running you shouldn't be wasting NHS or your own resources having one, unless you are either a diabetic, asthmatic or spleen-less fellrunner.
    6.I've also just caught another, don't have school-age children in the house.
    7. Don't marry or live with a teacher.

ive heard alcohol can reduce the chance of getting colds . hocus pocus maybe , but im giving it a go tonite

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    7. Don't marry or live with a teacher.
    Thanks for comments Guys... actually I've gone one worse than a teacher... a nurse!!! Funnily enough, she's normally the one who gets all the bugs, but whilst I've been suffering, she's been getting away with it!
    Tonight's action will be as suggested... a few beers! I'm off out now...
    You'll never Walk Alone!

It's a virus. The only immunity is through exposure - catch it and get better. That's it. There is no way to prevent or cure the common cold because cold strains change constantly. You gain immunity to one strain but you are still susceptible to all the others you haven't had yet. No Vitamin C or Zinc or Evening Primrose Oil or Echinacea or rubbing mustard on your chest or wearing socks inside out is going to shield you from colds. It. Is. A. Virus.

Boy, I wish people would believe medical science sometimes.

the only prevention is to always be on your own and never go out . think i will stick to getting the occasional sniffle

Talking Re: Colds and Flu etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
    ive heard alcohol can reduce the chance of getting colds . hocus pocus maybe , but im giving it a go tonite
    wierd eh, I stopped drinking 3 years ago and took up fellrunning, I get a cold every other month these days. I also work in education environment. I guess I just have to accept it eh???
    why do we do?:wink:
    http://williamtitley.org

drink lots of beer,the benefits are amazing