Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Folkin’ Reservoir Ramble

Re: Folkin’ Reservoir Ramble

Yes, I was limping. I thought I might have gotten away with it and not been spotted by a forumite!

Hamstring issues in my left leg. Seems to come on slowly after about 90 mins of running and then gets steadily worse. Only on uphill bits though which is weird. I walked most of the second half save for any flat or downhill bits. I think this rules me out of the Kielder marathon though which is a shame but there's always other races.

Went off-course along with everyone else. Got passed by Jez Hellewell going like a train. A joy to watch however briefly. I guess he'd gone further astray than myself. Good course. Plenty of gain. Loads of lovely mud. Ruined by injury.

Having a beer now to drown my sorrows.
    Last edited by Vegan Runner; 22-09-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks to the organisers for that one, I enjoyed it. I think I might be one of the few that did the 14 mile route right... after Mill House farm a group in front of me took a right turn onto the return route rather than the left to Swinsty reservoir.
    Anyone know who the photographers were on the approach to Swinsty and near Scow Hall? Be interesting to see how many made it past them
    The only workout you'll ever regret is the one you didn't do.

The organiser's pre-race written instructions were to carry a map : and "a clockwise route". The map was marked up on the race website. No real excuses for going the wrong way, and full credit to everyone for putting on such a good, new event.

Lovely run, great weather. Vegan, I ended up doing 21.62 miles, having got lost very early on. The rest of my race was then a game of "catch up" ! My wife & 12 year old son, doing the 14 miler, saw you at some point. My wife was very impressed with your vest ! Sorry I didn't chat as I passed. And well done to everyone who took part. Chris Brown (haven't seen him on here for a while, but had a nice chat with him afterwards) got a well deserved veterans prize after a great run.

Quote Originally Posted by RachFR View Post
    Beautiful weather, vest and shorts (and gloves for the first 20mins as I have cold hands!)
    I luckily only went a hundred metres or so off course - at that farmhouse where the farmer had used red and white tape and we couldn't see any race signs - but the road was quickly a dead-end so we turned back, then a marshal appeared and told us where to go. I later got overtaken by some guys who had gone two miles off course early on!
    It was a great race, a few hiccups but it was the first year they'd done it, so kudos to the ROs. One slight point is I was slightly surprised by the number of people doing either race (especially the 20miler) with no kit at all (kit wasn't mandatory) - the kit thing is kind of hammered into me by years of fellrunning, so I had a bumbag with the usual gear in. With the weather being so nice, I only used the sweets and a bit of water. The kit thing has been done to death on these forums though so I won't start a new debate about it here - that was just my thought
    I saw you Veganrunner - were you ok? I think you were limping but were having a chat to a walker when I saw you so didn't like to interrupt!
    Thank you ROs, marshals, the guy serving pie and peas, and whoever bought all the swiss roll
    I went down that farmhouse track with you and a few others, apart from that no other problems. My calf cramped up , and the last couple of miles were a bit of a struggle.
    Lovely morning for it and we had a good afternoon and evening with an Otley pub crawl and the folk music festival

Yep, a belting morning out ! My legs are ok today. Got the compression socks on, just to help out. My wife's in bits after her 15.5 mile walk/run with my son !

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Lovely run, great weather. Vegan, I ended up doing 21.62 miles, having got lost very early on. The rest of my race was then a game of "catch up" ! My wife & 12 year old son, doing the 14 miler, saw you at some point. My wife was very impressed with your vest ! Sorry I didn't chat as I passed. And well done to everyone who took part. Chris Brown (haven't seen him on here for a while, but had a nice chat with him afterwards) got a well deserved veterans prize after a great run.
    And Mr Modest doesn't mention his own win. Round of applause for Jez please everybody
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Ha, ha, cheers Rob. Still a little bit shocked to be honest ! Even my daughter doesn't believe that I won !

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Ha, ha, cheers Rob. Still a little bit shocked to be honest ! Even my daughter doesn't believe that I won !
    You can prove it now - results are up http://runalong.net/upcoming-events/...-ramble-otley/
    But in the end, journeys brought joys that outweighed the pain - F.T.