Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Breaks

Taking Breaks

Hi,

Just wondered what people's attitude was to taking breaks in training.

Having races pretty evenly spread throughout the year, and not being a top athlete with 'target races' to peak for (probably like most people on here), there doesn't seem an obvious time to have a break.

But then you can find yourself running about as hard as you can all year, which probably isn't the best for your body.

Do people have set breaks? Or periods where they decide to run a lot less than a normal week for a period of time? Is it advisable, or is there a sort of 'accepted wisdom' on the subject?

Interested to hear!

Cheers.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Re: Taking Breaks

Ive only been running 2 years, my first year I ran probably 4-5 out of 7 days a week and raced at least twice a month be it road 10k's or fell races, at the begining of this year I had specific goals to aim for and as such tried to train to peak for these, notably TMW and Snowdon. I found that but cutting my running down and trying to peak for particular races just didnt work for me at all and since July I have gone back to my old remit of running running and racing with little in the way of breaks other than the odd night off and short run. I have found that this approach suits me much more, my times have come back down my form has picked up again and I seem to of gotten rid of a couple of niggles I picked up. Im sure everyone is different but ill stick to my non stop approach. The only thing I have found as a major help is a good sports massage a coupke of days prior to a long or big race and the same afterwards.
    Murph
    Good going down !!

Hi, that was interesting to read. I'm thinking of trying to find a balance between a normal running week and maybe something where it ramps up a bit in the couple of weeks before a race. There are loads of specific programmes out there for big events like a marathon that might be someone's focus for the year, but interesting to hear what people do who just run generally.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    Hi,

Just wondered what people's attitude was to taking breaks in training.

Having races pretty evenly spread throughout the year, and not being a top athlete with 'target races' to peak for (probably like most people on here), there doesn't seem an obvious time to have a break.

But then you can find yourself running about as hard as you can all year, which probably isn't the best for your body.

Do people have set breaks? Or periods where they decide to run a lot less than a normal week for a period of time? Is it advisable, or is there a sort of 'accepted wisdom' on the subject?

Interested to hear!

Cheers.
    The best ensurance athletes in the world all schedule rest or recovery into their programmes. However if you do not train with large blocks of volume and intensity for your own capacity and therefore are never going to 'overreach', then it is probably best to stick with what works.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

I tend to go off what my body tells me. I'm not a regular racer, or trainer come to that but I do feel the need, on occasion for a rest break. Just now I'm laying off a little as I did L50 in July, then Bullock Smithy in September. I'll still run bits on the road and do bits in the gym, particularly yoga / stretching sessions. I tend to start thinking about a little 'rest' after my last big 'race' and kind of during early cross country season i.e. October time. Then picking up 'full' training in the form of longer road and off-road running and strength work in the gym in November. I guess it is very personal.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

I only train March to October. I go for the odd jog (maybe twice a week) during the Winter. This works for me, but it's always hard getting going again and losing the extra weight.

I run every day and laugh in the face of resting. Muahahahaha!

That said my performance in races is all over the place, some good, some bad depending on how knacked my legs are on the day. Mind you I mainly treat races as exercises in keeping my eye in and of course valuable training for my solo running

Because of my shift Patten I train on a 4 week cycle, one very hard, one easy, two medium weeks. I tend to taper for big events, so this is a rest I guess. It is working for me.

ATB

Tahr

I took a break from training once.... It was about 10 years ago, and to be honest it's about time I ended the break and got back down to some training....

Prior to that I used to have a couple of weeks at the end of each summer followed by a month or two of good solid mileage to build up a good winter base.

I'm going to take a break from training.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...