Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hokas

Hokas

Always risky, mentioning the H word on the Forum. :wink:

I am contemplating entering and training for an event in 2013 which will have me on my feet for the best part of up to a week on Alpine trail type terrain.

It looks like a few people are using Hokas here now, and I'm interested to get some feedback on whatever models people are using.

Aside of the fact that the greatest 100 mile racer on the planet (Karl Meltzer with 33 victories) uses them regularly (even running this year's Hardrock 100 in a pair) and that Dave Mackey, another Top 10 US ultra-runner also runs very fast in them, I spotted the odd pair whilst watching the Lakeland 100 this year.

Meltzer also used them in his 2,064 mile 40 day trip along the Pony Express Trail in 2010.

Regular users report increased recovery time and reduced lower leg damage as particular benefits.

Anyone have any experience they are prepared to share?

Morgan
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Super Moderator

Re: Hokas

Morgan, thanks for starting this thread. I was thinking of doing something similar but couldn't bring myself to do it!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

What are Hoka's? Do you mean there are other shoes to run in out there than Inov8 and Walsh? :w00t::w00t::w00t:
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Morgan, thanks for starting this thread. I was thinking of doing something similar but couldn't bring myself to do it!
    erm...seconded.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Morgan

I bought a pair of Hoka Mafates earlier this year, mainly as an experiment having read so much about them via Meltzer etc.

Couple of training runs of 7-8 miles went well, then I put them through their paces in a 27 mile trail race in the Peak District after about a week of owning them. I absolutely sailed round the course in fairly wet and muddy conditions. Leg fatigue was massively reduced, absolutely no cramp whatsoever, the whole thing was a breeze. I ran hard and at a consistent pace throughout on a tough course. Although they look weird they feel no different to a more conventionally built shoe, apart from when descending when they really come into their own. I don't think I've ever run downhill on trails as quickly and with as much comfort and confidence as I did that day. Despite the huge wedge underfoot, they are actually a fairly 'minimal' shoe in terms of heel toe drop, which I think is about 4mm. Also, the wedge of foam is deceptive, it is not all underfoot, rather the foot is cradled within it so it is not quite like 'running in platforms' as it appears to be. They are not noticeably heavier than the more conventional shoes I own.

I have never enjoyed a race more than that day. And I don't think I've ever run better or harder. Afterwards, my legs felt absolutely fantastic. I would have gone out and done another run the very next day were it not for the one massive drawback of the Hoka range (you just knew there would be a 'but' coming...).

The toebox is ridiculous. It tapers off to almost a point! When I took the shoes off I had blisters on blisters, bloodied and bruised toes. I had felt them nipping at about 20 miles, but didn't think it was too bad. I was wrong! This wasn't a sizing issue either, I was very careful when buying. Once the adrenaline had settled down it was fairly painful, and I couldn't run again for a few days.

All in all, a frustrating shoe. So much zip and comfort, and the reduced stress on the legs is VERY noticeable. But no good for anybody with anything but the narrowest of feet in my opinion, if you are looking at doing some big mileage in them. I ended up sending mine to Oxfam, as most of my racing these days is 15 miles plus and I don't think my toes would take it!!

Give them a good going over in the shop first.

Hope this helps.

Simon
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Always prepared to stand up and be counted - in my own quiet way of course.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    Morgan

I bought a pair of Hoka Mafates earlier this year, mainly as an experiment having read so much about them via Meltzer etc.

Couple of training runs of 7-8 miles went well, then I put them through their paces in a 27 mile trail race in the Peak District after about a week of owning them. I absolutely sailed round the course in fairly wet and muddy conditions. Leg fatigue was massively reduced, absolutely no cramp whatsoever, the whole thing was a breeze. I ran hard and at a consistent pace throughout on a tough course. Although they look weird they feel no different to a more conventionally built shoe, apart from when descending when they really come into their own. I don't think I've ever run downhill on trails as quickly and with as much comfort and confidence as I did that day. Despite the huge wedge underfoot, they are actually a fairly 'minimal' shoe in terms of heel toe drop, which I think is about 4mm. Also, the wedge of foam is deceptive, it is not all underfoot, rather the foot is cradled within it so it is not quite like 'running in platforms' as it appears to be. They are not noticeably heavier than the more conventional shoes I own.

I have never enjoyed a race more than that day. And I don't think I've ever run better or harder. Afterwards, my legs felt absolutely fantastic. I would have gone out and done another run the very next day were it not for the one massive drawback of the Hoka range (you just knew there would be a 'but' coming...).

The toebox is ridiculous. It tapers off to almost a point! When I took the shoes off I had blisters on blisters, bloodied and bruised toes. I had felt them nipping at about 20 miles, but didn't think it was too bad. I was wrong! This wasn't a sizing issue either, I was very careful when buying. Once the adrenaline had settled down it was fairly painful, and I couldn't run again for a few days.

All in all, a frustrating shoe. So much zip and comfort, and the reduced stress on the legs is VERY noticeable. But no good for anybody with anything but the narrowest of feet in my opinion, if you are looking at doing some big mileage in them. I ended up sending mine to Oxfam, as most of my racing these days is 15 miles plus and I don't think my toes would take it!!

Give them a good going over in the shop first.

Hope this helps.

Simon
    Simon

Very helpful.

Having switched out of Salomons because of the narrow toe boxes and into Cascadias, this could be problematic.

Having said that, I think I have narrowish feet and much of the journey I am contemplating will be jogging downhill at best I suspect.

I hope there is more information out there.

Thanks.

Morgan

Found a RW thread here with some feedback:

http://www.runnersworld.com/communit...s/hoka-one-one

And the iRunFar review of the Bondi Bs with plenty of comments:

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/07/hoka-...-b-review.html

I think there is a Bondi B 2 on the way.

I own a pair of Mafates & a BondiB - and I do look forward to putting them on! I've had some issues too with my toes, but only very minor blisters in the early days... The are deceptively stable and great on rocky and hard packed trails - just avoid wet grass/mud or too much traversing!

Amazing for downhill running - coming down the steep road from Loughrigg for example...

Nice one for road running too. Worth a try and you'll never feel tempted to wear them to the pub

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post
    The are deceptively stable and great on rocky and hard packed trails - just avoid wet grass/mud or too much traversing!
    Bumped into some lads recceing the L100 a couple of weeks ago in Wasdale. One of them had Hokas on and he said they were okay on tracks etc but to avoid wet grass :w00t:
    Poacher turned game-keeper