Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Hokas

Just one caveat... I turned my ankle the other week on some rough ground and the height of the midsole is such that I went over a long way. It was extremely painful and set me a back a couple of weeks. I cant see them being suitable for very rough stuff for this reason, maybe its just me.

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    Where did you find them for £30?
    Watch out for the fake Hokas and Fake Hoka sales websites (prices too good to be true)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Watch out for the fake Hokas and Fake Hoka sales websites (prices too good to be true)
    Good advice, but maybe a wee bit late for the guy who asked the question 5 years ago.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Thinking about getting son Hoka Challengers. I'll order online from Pete Bland but have read they are small sizes so a half size up is the way to go.
    Anyone confirm this? I'm an 8 in inov-8 and Salomon.

I had a pair of Hoka Speedgoat trail shoes. I did need to go up half a size. Don't know about the Challengers though.

My Hoka road shoes were true to size though.

I'm not sure the 'go up half a size' thing is true anymore with Hokas. I think, a few years ago, Hoka had a problem with the toe box causing friction which meant some people needed to go up in size. I suspect it wasn't actually the size that was different but the relative proportions. It's hard for me to say because I think my feet are a funny shape, and have even grown over the last few years. I used to wear 10.5 for everything, except I wore 11 with a pair of Hoka Challenger. They were a bit 'roomy' in some respects but OK in others. That was some years ago. These days I wear 11 for everything - I don't wear Challengers any more but I have a couple of pairs of Mafate Speed 2 in size 11. (I also had a pair in 10.5, which were wearable but not for too long.) Could that be a difference between your trail and road shoes, Travs - i.e., one pair is older than the other? I've never worn Innov-8s so can't compare Hoka with those, but I have an old pair of Salomon Fellraisers in 11, the same as my Mafate. (Maybe my correct size is 10.6 and so I have a bit of leeway!) Both the Fellraisers and Mafate are very comfortable (but the Fellraisers are slippery as f*** on wet rock!). Personally, given the price of shoes these days, I'd try to wait until I could try a pair on!

Mine were both bought within a month of each other, at start of 2019.

Speedgoats were incredibly comfortable. So much so that I used to wear them for track sessions on our notoriously hard club track. But lethal on any kind of non-standard trail terrain.

I used them on the Haworth Hobble due to the amount of hard packed trail and road. But on the genuine fell sections I was like Bambi (even moreso than usual).
    Last edited by Travs; 05-07-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Bang goes that theory, then.

My Mafate are very comfortable and grippy on rock, but awful in sloppy conditions.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    No 8.5s in stock so went for an 8. Seems like a perfect fit just walking around the house today. Tonight's run was too wet and muddy for them but will report back after a drier run out in them.

I've just bought a pair of Hoka Mafetes on offer from Wiggle. I've owned a pair of their road shoes before, very plush. I needed to size up half a size. Toebox doesn't seem to narrow for me. Will be using for easy trail runs. I'm trying to ease myself back into running so need all the cushioning I can get!