Re: Hokas

When do HoGraS come on sale in the UK?

As in Holy Grail Shoe.

Super Moderator

Joan, I thought you were dead! :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I've had the stinson b evo since early sept. Agree with simgreen's review about the feel etc But not about the toebox. All my toes bar the little toe are the same length! This has caused me
    problems with every pair of shoes i've owned(for running). Not with the Hokas tho-Gutted in a way because of cost! They come up small size wise, Walsh spirit peak i take 9's, Crosslites 9.5's, salomon's 10"s, Hokas 10.5's..

Believe the hype, the cushioning is great, had a sports massage a few days after L100 and the lad that did it said my leg muscles were in good nick. Considering I've never covered 100 miles before I was impressed with them. Get the right size though, my feet were wrecked. Ran the first half in mafates, second half in bondi b's, considering the bondi's are road shoes, I found the grip adequate, even on the last downhill into Coniston. Same as owt else really, it's down to personal experience, I'd even wear em in the pub. Then again, I never did have any dress sense, or sense at all really:wink:
    Hills and Guinness!

Thanks all for the thoughts so far.

Where's Tom Phillips; looks like he has pair and they'll have done a few miles I dare say. :wink:
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Extract from a recent interview with Karl Meltzer:

So, how about those Hokas? What do you like about them? Do you feel as agile in them as lower-profile shoes? Have they actually made a difference in your running?

I like a comfortable shoe. That's what Hokas are: super comfortable, soft. I don't roll an ankle because they mush out. They protect my feet and body from pounding, and I never get blisters. I feel perfectly agile in them. Just because they may look like you can roll a foot or ankle, that's not so.

They have not really made a difference in my "running" but have made a difference in my recovery. My body recovers very quickly because I don't wear tiny shoes that have no cushioning. My joints don't hurt.

Minimalistic shoes are for folks who buy into fads and salesmen. People should, in my opinion, run in something with cushioning. I see lots of folks start a race in little shoes, then drop because their feet are destroyed.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post

So, how about those Hokas? What do you like about them? Do you feel as agile in them as lower-profile shoes? Have they actually made a difference in your running?

I like a comfortable shoe. That's what Hokas are: super comfortable, soft. I don't roll an ankle because they mush out. They protect my feet and body from pounding, and I never get blisters. I feel perfectly agile in them. Just because they may look like you can roll a foot or ankle, that's not so.

They have not really made a difference in my "running" but have made a difference in my recovery. My body recovers very quickly because I don't wear tiny shoes that have no cushioning. My joints don't hurt.

Minimalistic shoes are for folks who buy into fads and salesmen. People should, in my opinion, run in something with cushioning. I see lots of folks start a race in little shoes, then drop because their feet are destroyed.
    Can't argue with that Morgan, the amount of miles KM's done in em:thumbup:
    Hills and Guinness!

Marcus Scotney uses them to good effect. He has been singing their praises recently too
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post

That's a lot like what Geoff Roes was saying a year or so ago. He was talking about his Montrail Mountain Masochist shoes and why he prefers cushioning, comfort and some degree of pronation control on his long runs.

I have to admit I'm intrigued by these things. How long do I have to wait before buying some and not be jumping on the band wagon?
    pies