Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hokas

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Re: Hokas

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    I have to admit I'm intrigued by these things. How long do I have to wait before buying some and not be jumping on the band wagon?
    me too but would I not become one of those "...folks who buy into fads...."!

Anybody seen these in a shop - love to try some on but according to the Hoka web site, my nearest stockist is 100 miles away.......

Come on. Karl Metzer is a great runner but he's paid to love these shoes. He didn't mention in that interview the fact that he broke his ankle whilst running in them? It's been proved that if you increase the cushioning you increase the impact forces as the foot tries to find it's way to the ground. It's been proved that barefoot runners have softer landing. Okay, I bet there are many people who go straight to minimal shoes without enough adaption but in the long run they are better for you.

I remember before Brooks came out with a more minimal shoe, Scott Jurek was sitting on the fence about minimalism, toeing the company line basically. Now Brooks have minimal shoes guess what Scott runs in?

I'd say Hokas are more hype than minimal shoes, I live in Hoka country and I can tell you there are not that many at the top of the field...

Karl could run in a pair of wellies and still kick everyone's arse

Some related reading on the whole issue of cushioning, minimalism and type of footstrike.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1..._source=buffer

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    Some related reading on the whole issue of cushioning, minimalism and type of footstrike.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1..._source=buffer
    It would seem a bit of cushioning is the answer .....

Yes, I think I agree! I usually reach for my semi-minimal shoes rather than my really minimal shoes for most runs. I think that unconsciously I may need a bit of cushion... But my point about the Hokas having too much cushion is still valid.

But like everything I guess it comes down to personal taste, body size variables and running style. The Hokas are in fact marketed as a heel striking shoe... Fair enough if you can heel strike and actually not over stride in the process then hats of to you!

Master

Lets see if The Master and Dorien Grey pick up on this thread, they have both covered many miles in Hoka's this year and I am sure have something to say about them...dont you George?

I posted a question in a Podiatry forum about Hoka's and this was the response I got (hopefully from a podiatrist)

There is nothing wrong with maximalist running shoes (ie the Hoka One One's)
    There is nothing wrong with minimalist running shoes

It all comes down to two things:
    1. What feeling you prefer to have under your foot
    2. What injury history you have (maximalist vs minimalist encourage different gaits that load tissues different --> all depends which tissues that you need to load less)

Everything else at this stage is just rhetoric and propaganda.

I run 2-3 days a week in Hoka Ones and 2-3 days a week in NB Minimus's and 2-3 days a week in various "traditional" running shoes ( and wear my MBTs to work 2 days a week!)
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Lets see if The Master and Dorien Grey pick up on this thread, they have both covered many miles in Hoka's this year and I am sure have something to say about them...dont you George?
    That's why I started the thread; to hear from those who have paid their money and used Hokas.

Views based on experience, not opinion based on no experience of the shoes.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

"Everything else at this stage is just rhetoric and propaganda."

Quite so, hence seeking views forom those who have used, if you'll pardon the expression!
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Sorry