Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bgr leg 3

bgr leg 3

if you do leg 3 as a reccie what is the quickest way back to dunmail as i would leave car there i was thinking drop down wasdale go back up sprinkly

Re: bgr leg 3

Either do something like Dunmail - Bowfell - Dunmail and Eskdale - Bowfell - Wasdale - Eskdale to split it in to two halves or park up in Borrowdale, head up to Greenup Edge and pick up the route just after Calf Crag then follow it all the way to Wasdale then head back over Styhead to Borrowdale.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Either do something like Dunmail - Bowfell - Dunmail and Eskdale - Bowfell - Wasdale - Eskdale to split it in to two halves or park up in Borrowdale, head up to Greenup Edge and pick up the route just after Calf Crag then follow it all the way to Wasdale then head back over Styhead to Borrowdale.
    The latter is how I used tio do it and you only miss a short and relatinely un interesting section that you can recce seperately in a couple of hours.

Super Moderator

Two further suggestions:

Start in Langdale, climb up to Harrison Stickle or Sergeant Man and go as far as Scafell Pike before coming back via Esk Hause and Rossett Gill

For a short one if you're in Wasdale go up Lingmell (much better than the tourist route) on to Scafell Pike, then your preferred route to Scafell and back down into Wasdale. This is great if you've got a morning or afternoon, at the end of a weekend say
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 23-09-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

thanks very much for the routes i shall be trying these out during winter months bring on the snow

I like DT's route, have done that one a few times. A variation on the theme is to descend to scree off Scafell Pike (i.e. the Borrowdale descent) and then take the corridor route back to the crossroads then up to Esk Hause and back to Langdale as he describes. About 20 miles in all.

If you want to recce Scafell and the descent to Wasdale, park at Seathwaite and go up to Great End via Sprinkling Tarn then Ill Crag and Broad Crag, Scafell Pike, Scafell to Wasdale and then back to Styhead and Seathwaite.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Or park at Honister, Moses Trod as far as Aaron Slack, up and over to Styhead, Corridor Route to Scafell Pike and then the remainder of leg 3 and all of leg 4 back to Honister. Obviously more 4 than 3, but goes well as a pair with the suggested recce of leg 3 from Langdale, you can refine your choice of route to Scafell and enjoy a pleasurable stroll up Yewbarrow. Plus, it's a grand day out in the most spectacular part of the Lakes that doesn't require a long drive round to Wasdale/Eskdale.
    Geoff Clarke

Catch the bus(es). Park in Keswick and get the first 555 towards Windermere get off at Dunmail. Leg 3 to Wasdale. over Styhead to Seathwaite and along to Seatoller. Bus from Seatoller back to Keswick. Or variations of this. Last bus out of Borrowdale is 6ish, but check timetables as they change between summer and winter.

I once did pretty much this ( took corridor from Scafell Pike) I was in 2 minds whether to push on and catch the bus, since I was thoroughly enjoying the day, the weather, the views.
    On reaching Seathwaite I was probably just a wee bit late for the bus, but I ran off briskly down the road, continually checking the time and thinking - I might just catch it, stepping up the pace, checking the time, upping the pace ... etc until I was genuinely pelting along the last 400m.
    needless to say the bus sailed by just as I reched the road at Seatoller.
    exhausted I stuck out my thumb and immediately got a lift, passing the bus at its stop in Rosthwaite.

For years, the first bus from Keswick to Dunmail was at 9.30am with Stagecoach which is a bit late for most folk. This summer there's been a REAY's bus at 8.39am.
    It's the Service 55 - LAKES HOPPER.
    I've even seen a timetable saying one at 7:53. Their phone no. is 016973 49900 or try [email protected].
    Last edited by keswicksimon; 28-09-2012 at 07:30 AM.