Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big toe/pad pain

big toe/pad pain

Hi all I was wondering if anyone's had this, ive been suffering with my big toe being swollen and very tender @without no no obvious cause at first I thought I'd broken it somehow and it swelled and felt like it but after a few days the ive narrowed the pain down the foot pad behind the toe after 2 weeks it's still tender and swollen and I have limited movement in it although it easing very slightlyand I can put most of my weight on it now but is still tender. Anyone got any suggestions what it may be or or advice other than nit running and icing which I've been doing and a bit of water jet treatment which has helped

Re: big toe/pad pain

Quote Originally Posted by old un View Post
    Hi all I was wondering if anyone's had this, ive been suffering with my big toe being swollen and very tender @without no no obvious cause at first I thought I'd broken it somehow and it swelled and felt like it but after a few days the ive narrowed the pain down the foot pad behind the toe after 2 weeks it's still tender and swollen and I have limited movement in it although it easing very slightlyand I can put most of my weight on it now but is still tender. Anyone got any suggestions what it may be or or advice other than nit running and icing which I've been doing and a bit of water jet treatment which has helped
    Gout?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

allopurinol and ibuprofen naprosyn these need to be supplied by doctor no alcohol no vinegar products

Quote Originally Posted by old un View Post
    sound very similar to an injury I had a couple of years ago. i thought I had some thing called turf toe which is common in footballers where you tear ligament/tendons from the big toe however after 18 months!!! I sought professional advice he sorted in 1 week. There's a little bone under your big pad where the tendon runs over called a sesamoid. this can get damage and will not heal unless treated properly but like most injuries unless you know what it actually is you can't treat it. go see a physio/podiatrist.

thanks for replies chaps just tried a steady plod out to see how it fares as on rab at weekend (hopefully)and it eased when running but stiffend again when rested so prob soft tissue injury and ill prob end up at a physio cheers ian , gout ? never thought of that fjell guy isnt that what piss heads get ? ill check up on it though

Another possibility is simply that it's an infection. Sometimes a pinprick you're unaware of can be enough to let infection in, especially in the dank and murky world of Sockland. In that case, a visit to the doctor and a course of antibiotics would do the trick.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

another possibility i havnt looked at tussock face although it hasnt been hot like infection usually is but certainly a prime spot for it as you say

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    sound very similar to an injury I had a couple of years ago. i thought I had some thing called turf toe which is common in footballers where you tear ligament/tendons from the big toe however after 18 months!!! I sought professional advice he sorted in 1 week. There's a little bone under your big pad where the tendon runs over called a sesamoid. this can get damage and will not heal unless treated properly but like most injuries unless you know what it actually is you can't treat it. go see a physio/podiatrist.
    what you had would have been my thoughts...just out of interest IDP what was the treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    what you had would have been my thoughts...just out of interest IDP what was the treatment?
    Even though I had been resting/icing etc every time I put a shoe/trainer on etc the pressure caused lots of pain. OnceI had warmed up it eased but as soon as I'd stopped it came back.

the first thing we did was cut up an old pair old insoles to allow the sesamoid bone to sit in a whole taking the pressure off that part of the foot. It made an immediate difference plus it was cheap infact I've mentioned this to others who have had a toe joint/ball injury as a way to take some weight off the joint(always reccomending seeing a physio though )

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Even though I had been resting/icing etc every time I put a shoe/trainer on etc the pressure caused lots of pain. OnceI had warmed up it eased but as soon as I'd stopped it came back. the first thing we did was cut up an old pair old insoles to allow the sesamoid bone to sit in a whole taking the pressure off that part of the foot. It made an immediate difference plus it was cheap infact I've mentioned this to others who have had a toe joint/ball injury as a way to take some weight off the joint(always reccomending seeing a physio though )
    that makes sense, always good to know how others approach injuries