Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Osmotherley Phoenix

Osmotherley Phoenix

I'm heading up to the NY moors next Saturday (7th July) to get away from all this water, any body else going. I've walked in this area but never ran in any races.

Another in the Montrail series

Race Details

Which Forumites will be there?

Ian

Re: Osmotherley Phoenix

I'll be there, along with my sister - coming over from Shanghai for this race! Now there is commitment.

This should be a really good race. The area looks perfect. I'm really looking forward to it.

i'm not doing it this year cos it clashes with The Lyke Wake , run over so of the same course so it should be interesting. The Phoenix is run by the New Lyke Wake club and part of The Osmotherley games. I met some people from the Club on a wake at Lordstones cafe whilst training for the LWR. It'll be fairly wet in the peaty bits. If you go vis Clay Bank and onto Urra Moor, look out for a green woodpecker that i've seen a few times, it feeds on the ants at the side of the path u run on.
    Have a great time. Maybe see u en route doing another run, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    i'm not doing it this year cos it clashes with The Lyke Wake , run over so of the same course so it should be interesting. The Phoenix is run by the New Lyke Wake club and part of The Osmotherley games. I met some people from the Club on a wake at Lordstones cafe whilst training for the LWR. It'll be fairly wet in the peaty bits. If you go vis Clay Bank and onto Urra Moor, look out for a green woodpecker that i've seen a few times, it feeds on the ants at the side of the path u run on.
    Have a great time. Maybe see u en route doing another run, lol.
    Alf

Do you have a link for the LWW race 2007. I've had a bit of a google and can't find anything?

Should be a good steady run as long as long as I can keep the food down.

Ian

Master

It also clashes with the Saunders, so no, not going

Does anyone have any good ideas about somewhere to stay on Friday night near Osmotherley? I'll be getting there quite late (hopefully before midnight).

Any good suggestions would be appreciated.

Just booked into Leeming Bar hotel - it's at the A1 - the junction where you would leave to go through Northallerton to Osmotherley.

£50 for a room. Shame my flatmate broke my tentpole or I'd have been at Cote Ghyll again.

They also have a shower room that one could use after the race & the night porter can handle people arriving late (er.. hopefully)

their number is 01677 422122

see you on the moor,
    Tim

Thanks Timob. I've got somewhere sorted to stay with a friend in Sheffield.

My sister entered quite late and she got race number 304. I got race number 031 (entered earlier). Maybe it'll be a big field.

Word on the street is that 5 hours is the time to beat.

it is a big field - there are runners doing 33, 26 and 17 miles. There are also walkers doing the same distances = 6 classifications of event.

If you're looking at being near the podium, you won't see me on the course - last year I did 6:52, but it was blisteringly hot and I was pretty clueless at anything over a jog around Regents Park (not much has changed there...). Race number 015 nonetheless.

I seem to recall that the massed start last year had the walkers in front of the runners, so it was a bit of a cluster for the first few minutes - walking poles, tin mugs and beards knocking people over ;-)

Have a good run & don't underestimate how far it is from Sheffield
    Tim

I didn't find Zlod but ended up running with Timob and the ladies Winner Amanda H for 4 hours. Long fast run but legs feel pretty good this morning.

Not sure how many were running our race but we came 18th-20th in 6.00.40 Most distressed to hear the Church Bells as we ran in to the finish as we were hoping to get in under the magic 6 hours.

Good race mixed weather but those farm dogs were a nuisance.

I hope Timob had a good party in his golden appendage?! Oh and thanks for the lift back to the car park, see you at the next one.

Ian