Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

Re: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

Terrible news, RIP Daz

Just to add my deepest sympathies to Daz's family. Words can't really adequately express the shock at this tragedy. A well loved and respected fell runner.

undercover moderator

Chapeau, Daz, for a life well lived.

You've left us all behind again.

There can't be many fell runners without a Daz H story. The common thread is Daz's kindness and generosity.

RIP Daz H

Today, myself and another forum member, collected Darrens van from Patterdale and took it home for him.

I met Darrens Father, Mother and Amanda his wife, oh how I wish it would have been in different circumstances that I got to meet Darrens family.

But when he is looking down now he can rest assured that the dignity they showed me today is true testiment to how this gentleman ran his life, a real man who helped others, without want of a reward, a man who on many occassions I have hugged and will sorley miss that in the future, a man who I can call a friend.

So many have written so many words, and i am sure he would be humbled right now.

I am just so pleased to have had the pleasure of meeting this fine man.

Rest in peace my friend we will all miss you.

Steve (big daft Hugger)

An event is on the cards, please just give us time
    Going to try again....

As Morgan suggested above, this is what I wrote this morning. Not so much a tribute as a desperate attempt to try and put my feelings into words and make some sense of it all;

"Some news just hits you like a bolt from the blue, so unexpected, so bizarre in its nature that it fails to register in your cerebral cortex. It seems like a dream, and you fully expect to wake next morning to find the earth back on its true axis.

After that initial hit, the news creeps insidiously into every pore of your being, overwhelming you with a sadness that just floors you, unable to articulate your feelings and leaving you alone with your thoughts and memories.

On this grey, cold Highland morning, as the mist parts and the hillside across the loch becomes visible, I can’t help but see him descending, as graceful as a gazelle on his favourite rocky, bouldery terrain, lost in a world of concentration, his face contorted with effort, his eyes locked in an almost thousand yard stare, his knee and elbow bloodied from some earlier fall.

He’s gaining now on his rivals (and friends!) and nothing will distract him from his desire to reel them in. I shout encouragement....”go on Darren!”....but there’s not a flicker, he’s immersed in his gladiatorial battle.

As the ground flattens out, he strains every sinew to hold position as the finish line approaches. He crosses the line, totally spent, not an ounce of energy left, having given 100% (as he did to everything in life).

And then, just as suddenly, his demeanour changes and he’s all smiles and handshakes and offering words of congratulations to those around him. But it’s not for him to slink off towards the cafe or the pub with the rest of the front runners. Cup of water in hand, he walks back up the last part of the course, cheering, greeting and offering encouragement to those of us who can only dream of the level of performance which he delivers time and time again.

The word “legend” is much overused these days. He deserves that title, for his mastery of the fells, for his ability to make everyone feel special with well chosen words, for his deep understanding and appreciation of the ethos, history and legacy of the sports he loved, for the total enthusiasm with which he led his life. I only hope he knew just how much people thought of him.

The world is a sadder place for the passing of such people. My world is a sadder place this morning. He showed me true friendship, kindness, support and inspiration. To say I admired and respected him would be a massive understatement. My thoughts are especially with those whom he loved and who loved him. It must be so hard to take in....."
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

I didn't have the privilege of knowing Darren but enjoyed the blog and I'm moved by the genuine expressions of sympathy and grief from all his friends in the fellrunning world. I was at Wrynose with my daughter jangling her cowbell as he flew through at the Three Shires only a few weeks ago. Yesterday we were standing in the warm sunshine of the leg 4 changeover on what couldn't have been a more perfect day. A short time later my teammate and I stopped to help after Darren collapsed. There was a fantastic effort by all the runners, walkers and Air Ambulance crew involved to try to save his life but unfortunately there was nothing any of us could do.

My deepest sympathies go to his wife and son and to all of you who knew him. He was obviously well loved and respected.
    Last edited by slats; 08-10-2012 at 09:46 PM.

I didn't know Daz but when someone posted the link to his Blog I realised I had visited it many times and marvelled at his exploits. The Laidback Fellrunner. It seems he had a life well lived, it's so sad and cruel that it was cut short. However, I know for myself that come the day I know how I would want to go..Sending warm wishes to his family.

In addition to losing one of our own from the fell running community, we've lost a stalwart forumite. His contributions will be missed by all of us on here.

As to how his family must be feeling, we can only begin to imagine; words like 'shock' and 'grief' are entirely insufficient. Though a stranger, I send my sincere condolences to them.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

I did not know him either, but my thoughts are with all who did know him.
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success