You've left us all behind again.
    Well said.

Master

Re: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

R.I.P Daz
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    Today, myself and another forum member, collected Darrens van from Patterdale and took it home for him.

I met Darrens Father, Mother and Amanda his wife, oh how I wish it would have been in different circumstances that I got to meet Darrens family.

But when he is looking down now he can rest assured that the dignity they showed me today is true testiment to how this gentleman ran his life, a real man who helped others, without want of a reward, a man who on many occassions I have hugged and will sorley miss that in the future, a man who I can call a friend.

So many have written so many words, and i am sure he would be humbled right now.

I am just so pleased to have had the pleasure of meeting this fine man.

Rest in peace my friend we will all miss you.

Steve (big daft Hugger)

An event is on the cards, please just give us time
    Thanks Amex - that was a big help!
    Alan B

A life cut short.

In full flow at the 2011 British Fell Relays

RIP daz

RIP. Run free.

I will miss you.

ChrisU - I've had that photo stuck in my head since yesterday afternoon, glad you posted it. I think it sums up our entire sport.

I managed to get out on the moors this afternoon, stumbling about unable to think straight. I bumped into a couple of fell runners on top of Roseberry Topping who were happily telling me about their recent exploits, injury problems, and massive love for Fell Running. These were Daz's people and they probably didn't even know him. All I could do was stand there looking into the middle-distance and grunt a few responses.

Ever since I first met him, I think at Burbage Skyline last year in my first race proper in a Pennine vest, he's been my marker and my yardstick, not just on the fells but also in the way he conducted himself. I was a long way off in both respects. Hard as nails but with a heart of gold. I'm ashamed to say that at Wasdale this year a tiny part of me was relieved he hadn't shown up on the start-line, as it meant an extra club championship point for me! How childish and naive I am. There's a lot to learn, and Daz is an excellent blue-print. I was hoping to improve over the winter so next year I could spend time racing him, not watching him disappear into the distance.

Always words of encouragement pre- and post-race, the last being a good chat before 3 shires, as due to time we only managed a cursory greeting before heading our separate ways on Sunday morning.

As I arrived at Sykeside after my leg 2 run, Daz and Steve were just heading out. Daz executed a perfect gate-swing, and then he was gone, but never forgotten.

Nic, Pennine
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Just been talking to friend about Daz, ba-ba, that's just how I described him, hard as nails with a heart of gold
    That's how I'll always remember him.
    Hills and Guinness!

Can't believe this......so sad reading this through tears.

We never got to do our little race mate, although I know you would have stuffed me.

Thoughts to family and friends.

Rest in peace mate.

Auld Ken

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    If there ain't no hills in heaven, Daz will construct some and have everyone inspired to run em.
    What a lovely thought. Now I have visions of Daz happily building a dream land of hills, tussocks, rivers; all the best fell running obstacles ready for us all to enjoy and share! Thanks Steve.

I've been feeling pretty down today, not really able to adjust to the idea of Daz being gone. We climbed the beacon this evening and lit some candles for Daz, his family, Badger, his friends, all the people he's helped, encouraged and supported, and for all the people who might have needed his help but will never get the chance to benefit from it. It was peaceful on the beacon with an array of twinkly lights all around below us.

I too benefited from Daz's kind words and encouragement. RIP Daz; there will be many people who have been inspired by you to be better people. You can sleep easy.

Stef
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog