Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

Re: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

Just a few memories of Daz.

I first met Daz at the Kinder Trog in 2006 when he sought advice from a highly experienced and knowledgable fell runner,
    sadly he ended up chatting to me instead. He'd never done a long race and I advised him not to head off to fast at the start -
    he ignored my advice and kept up with me for the first 45 minutes before falling back. I think that was the last time I ever beat him!

Last year I raced him at Peak Forest where he went the wrong way - not wanting to waste the day he went over to do the Broomfield Chase
    race that same afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    What a lovely thought. Now I have visions of Daz happily building a dream land of hills, tussocks, rivers; all the best fell running obstacles ready for us all to enjoy and share! Thanks Steve.

I've been feeling pretty down today, not really able to adjust to the idea of Daz being gone. We climbed the beacon this evening and lit some candles for Daz, his family, Badger, his friends, all the people he's helped, encouraged and supported, and for all the people who might have needed his help but will never get the chance to benefit from it. It was peaceful on the beacon with an array of twinkly lights all around below us.

I too benefited from Daz's kind words and encouragement. RIP Daz; there will be many people who have been inspired by you to be better people. You can sleep easy.

Stef
    That's lovely Stef.

Best wishes DazH. To you and your family.

Have been moved to read all the wonderful posts knowing that there was a danger that I might not 'catch up' as they pour in.
    What a credit this Daz Holloway is to Fellrunning and life itself. I did not know him but have been aware of his excellent performances which appear to pale into insignificance compared to the life loving character that has touched so many.

I may be wrong but I think Daz's fantastic 5th at 3 Shires made him the leading vet in the Lakes Classics Series. The last Lakes Classic is this coming Saturday at Langdale, maybe, as we are about to set off, we could give him a moment.

May he rest in peace, and still inspire us.

Gary Thorpe , Ambleside AC.

What a massive loss.
    Had some great battles with Daz on the fells.
    Think Daz summed up fellrunning well, such a nice down to earth bloke before and after the race, but once the word "GO" had been shouted, you knew you had to be on form to compete with him.
    Gone to soon, RIP Darren.

Sam Watson (Wharfedale Harriers)

My enduring memory of Daz was at last years Edale Skyline where I was taking a few photos. Seeing him power up Mam Tor was like watching a master class in fell running. He was like a train, totally focused with just a nod of recognition. His time of 2 hours 50 minutes is something most of us can only dream about.
    Yet a few hours later he was on the Pennine Blog handing out some really useful advice on hydration on a big race. That just sums the guy up. RIP.

Mark Fermer. Pennine FR.

Really sad and shocking news.
    I never met Daz but from years browsing on this forum I was well aware of his enthusiasm, his compassion and his abilities.
    I was in Keswick over the jubilee weekend BG supporting, so went up to Blackbeck Tarn to watch the Ennerdale race go by and pointed Daz out to some Hungarian tourists I met on the walk in who decided they wanted to see a fell race too.
    I always assumed I'd get the chance to say hello to him somewhere.
    I hope the moving tributes here are some comfort to his friends and family.
    Sincere condolences.

When I first heard yesterday that a runner from the Ian Hodgson Relay had been taken to hospital, and then that he'd died, I scoured the forum to find more details, thinking it was probably someone old and unfit like me that had been dragged in to make up the team. Tragic as that would have been, to then find out today that it was DazH, one of the fittest and most respected fell runners - and so relatively young was indeed a shock. It just doesn't seem fair.
    I hope his family can take some solace in the number of tributes that I have since read which show the genuine sense of loss that the fell running community are feeling.

I think it's quite clear from this thread and from the immense outpouring of grief on twitter etc. that Daz was a special bloke. I hope when the time comes we can all do our bit to honour that, even if that is just to be the best we can be.

Maybe we could have a whip round for Edale MRT and Langdale & Ambleside MRT as this was obviously a cause close to his thoughts.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Gutted. He has been such a great friend over the years. The last time he stayed with us he gave the kids his yellow construction helmet. They've been wearing it tonight in tribute. He was ace.
    Little Bo-Peep has lost her sheep