Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

Re: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    My enduring memory of Daz was at last years Edale Skyline Seeing him power up Mam Tor was like watching a master class in fell running. He was like a train, totally focused with just a nod of recognition.
    Mark you should have posted the link to the photo
    http://penninefellrunners.co.uk/word...2/03/daz11.jpg

Attachment 6415

Attachment 6416

Nice photograph of Darren waiting to start leg 4 on Sunday.

If anybody would like this I can email it to them if you PM me your email address.

Andy
    Last edited by slats; 08-10-2012 at 11:51 PM.

I think I'm going to get some black ribbon and make it into a bow and safety pin it to my racing vest in memory.

Daz took the time to find out about people and was interested in what they were doing and how they were feeling. He noticed other people's race results - he would send me the odd note of encouragement through the Forum when he spotted mine. And yes, as others have said, he was often on the course, after his own race, calling encouragement if he spotted me finishing.

Daz was kind to me. It's a special thing (as an average runner) to feel respected and supported by a front runner, someone from another club with no other connection other than he was interested in people and wanted to know about you. I thanked him for his kindnesses a few times but he didn't want thanks. A lovely man and so sorry that he's gone.
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC

I thought I'd share this with you; my last pm from Daz:

I'm glad your well. Hang in there Stef. Yes I'm okay. Training very hard as well as working hard as well. Been doing 12 hr training weeks and lots of races which I always do. At this level there really isn't much time for anything else, but I always wanted to say to myself that the day I have to finish running and racing the fells that I gave it my all. Done over 250 fell races now and won a good few things along the way. You keep well, see you soon Stef x Give my regards to Andrew

He has finished early but he did give it his all. What an inspiration.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

It is always unpleasant and just a little bit unfathomable when the nice ones go. The good memories will remain; beating him on a missed turn at the riber run fell race, watching him give away his hard won t-shirt at Stanage Struggle - a large was never going to fit his fell racing frame, seeing him hang about to pick up the odd little prises some of the local evening fell races give out as he hoovered up finishes in any events he hadn't yet taken part in - Parwich and Masson hill, a hot day on Leg 4 on the BG as he not only collected water for Phil and Julian but still kept a watchful eye on my slow progress.

Am thinking something cycling related might be the best thing to wear to remember him by - something woollen probably with the rainbow colours or maybe just hat with a small peak.
    Last edited by Glove Thief; 08-10-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Received from Amanda

Dear Brett ,
    I just want to thank you and all the members for the fantastic emotional words you are all saying about my beautiful husband, much loved father and son.He loved the sport and the friends he had made , the banter before races and the jokes after ..:.
    I have been reading these amazing words as we drive back from Barrow...distraught at having to leave him while postmortems and such are carried out .......
    Thank you for the love u all had for Daz H xxxxxxxxx
    Life will never be the same again

From Amanda

Hi Brett
    Also could you please post a very very big thank you on your forum to your members and friends of Daz as myself and josh have been overwhelmed by the tributes , stories and all round love for him.

Amanda and Josh holloway xxx

Master

The tributes posted on here only stand to further mark how much of a true fell legend Daz is and will always be.
    A familiar conversation between me and DynamoDan or Fleeter was about his determination and training, a true hard man on the fells, but the softest character off it.
    I have two fond memories of Daz in particular. Firstly at XOTF 2009, when we embarked on a tour up Sharp Edge in winter.....I was shitting myself, but Daz in his typical fashion made sure everyone was ok, and led us abandoners back over Mungrisedale. Secondly seeing him running spectacularly all last year in the fell champs, it was an absolute pleasure to see such a guy reaping the deserved benefits of all his hard work...and he got his sub 1:50 at the Ben!!!!

You'll be sorely missed mate, im sure theres a perfect hill up there for you to just run up and down all day with that look of determined enjoyment on your face....until then, enjoy x
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

It is with great sadness that I read these posts on the forum.

I have always considered that Darren was a very down-to-earth character who loved life.
    I never met him personally but I feel that I have known him for a very long time through this forum.

May he now enjoy eternal peace.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker